Calimar Pump not responding

Nochain

Nov 28, 2022
Arizona
Hey guys I havve a low hrs Calimar VSP pool pump that is not turning on. It has no errors and has power and it looks fine it’s just not starting up. No noise no clicks nothing when I try manual mode or wuick clean.
I believe this is the common controler to Black and Decker and various other units.

Suggestions? Is there some sore of reset I can try? I did shut the mains of and turened it back on…no dice.

Thanks Nochain

Did you check for 240V voltage on L1/L2 with a multimeter?

Hey guys I havve a low hrs Calimar VSP pool pump that is not turning on. It has no errors and has power and it looks fine it’s just not starting up. No noise no clicks nothing when I try manual mode or wuick clean.
I believe this is the common controler to Black and Decker and various other units.

Suggestions? Is there some sore of reset I can try? I did shut the mains of and turened it back on…no dice.

Thanks Nochain

What was your resolution?
Our months old pump did the same thing this morning. Voltage is good. No error codes. No blockages.

Thanks

Thanks Nochain
Did you ever find a solution? My Calimar VSP is 2 months old and ran perfect until today. No error code, the display is working, but the pump won't come on under schedule, manual or quick clean. I checked the L1/L2 voltage and it's right at 240V.

Edit: To clarify, the post right before mine was made by my wife, so there aren't 2 pumps in Austin that suddenly failed. I spent all day yesterday unsuccessfully trying to fix a transmission issue in one of our vehicles, so I think she was trying to spare me the frustration of dealing with this today.

Last edited:
I have the same at one of my pools that's not running with L1 and L2 powered up to the back of the pump. Evidently there was heavy lightning in the area that took out the controller. Customer has extended warranty so a new one is on order with no eta :brickwall: . We've since added a surge protector at the sub panel feeding the pump which will atleast eliminate that problem next time.

Reactions: Newdude
I have a happy ending to our story. Switching the breaker off for 15 minutes and then switching it back on resolved the issue and the pump appears to be working fine again. I had switched the breaker off and back on before, but apparently didn't wait long enough for the VFD to reset. Credit goes to Charlie at BT Pool Parts. I watched this video online showing how to replace the VFD, and then contacted Charlie (email address in comments to the video) to try to buy a new VFD. He initially said it'd be covered by warranty and asked for my order info. When I told him I'd ordered it from another vendor, he still replied with the suggestion to switch off the breaker and wait 15 minutes. This saved me a huge hassle of replacing a VFD or entire pump, so I really appreciate his help - especially considering I didn't buy it from him (but likely will be a future customer for any pool parts I need). Hope this helps others who may be experiencing similar issues.

Just FYI, today I received an email from a rep at Calimar pumps asking about our pump issue. Yesterday we had contacted Pool Supply Unlimited about our issue, and they had forwarded it on to Calimar. I know a prior comment by another forum member said that Calimar had been non-responsive on a warranty claim, but at least initially in our case they were communicative. I don't know what would have happened if we'd needed to make a warranty claim, but at least there is someone at Calimar that seems responsive. When I told him how the issue had been resolved he responded that sometimes it needs a hard reset, and to let him know if I have any further issues.

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
I know a prior comment by another forum member said that Calimar had been non-responsive on a warranty claim
Assuming that nothing is/runs perfect, of course, the couple of issues I've seen, they stepped up, and quickly. Hopefully the trend continues for anyone in need.

Reactions: Texas Aggie
I have a six month old Calimar 3HP VSP that has a failing motor (very high pitched whine). I've disassembled everything and there is no blockage that would be causing the noise. Emails to Calimar have gone unanswered, and when I reached out to Pool Supply Unlimited they said warranty is handled by Calimar.

Overall very disappointed with this pump and wish I had gone with the Black and Decker version for the actual warranty. Seems the Calimar warranty is non existent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure how yours is handled but I had a pump failure with the same pump mid summer and contacted pool supply which then told me it was a warranty issue needed to be filed with the warranty company (extended warranty) so I followed suit and within a few hours I had my credit I. A virtual CC only to be used at pool supply which I used to purchase the next one. Granted the credit was only for the actual original price excluding shipping and extended warranty but it was a good chunk of change and just had to add the price increase of the pump, new warranty and shipping. Albeit they were out of stock for a long time they eventually shipped it but in the interim I had to fit a temporary rebuilt pump I had to keep the customer going.

I wanted to follow up on my earlier post. After reaching out to Pool Supply Unlimited they sent an email to Calimar and within a couple of days I heard back from them and they agreed to replace the entire pump. It was shipped out from PSU and arrived Saturday. I've replaced the pump and all is back working again.

I don't know if the email from PSU is what got the ball rolling, but in the future I'd recommend emailing both Calimar and PSU - ask PSU to forward a warranty request to Calimar on your behalf.

I do plan to stock up on parts for the pump since they are relatively inexpensive, so I don't have any future downtime. I'm really glad I used PVC slip joints when I plumbed the pump, as I bet this isn't the last time I'll need to pull it for repairs/replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.