TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have the feeling that my air, water, and solar temperature readings are a little off and I'd like to recalibrate them on my EasyTouch.

Can anyone recommend a really accurate air/water thermometer for this purpose? And how would I know to trust even that thermometer? I don't want to spend a fortune because I don't expect to use it very often. Right now I feel my most accurate thermometer is probably my BBQ meat thermometer.

Can anyone recommend a really accurate air/water thermometer for this purpose? And how would I know to trust even that thermometer?

To know whether to trust it, you can buy a thermometer with a calibration certificate traceable to NIST. Then, if you like, you can periodically perform a limited test -- just two points -- by measuring the temperature of ice water and boiling water (be sure to correct for your altitude if necessary).

My recommendation is for Thermoworks. They make and sell really good, accurate thermometers. Some, like their Thermapen, come with NIST-traceable calibration:

Professional Thermometers from the Temperature Experts | ThermoWorks

For my pool, I use the old Thermapen that used to be my kitchen thermometer before I upgraded to their newer model. Fits under the net in the TF-pro case:

PXL_20230105_000553297~2.jpg
If i didn't already have one, though, I probably wouldn't spend that much just for a pool thermometer. Thermoworks has lots of other, cheaper thermometers that are just as accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
Have you tested how your BBQ thermometer correlates with the EasyTouch readings?

I would get any of these in the $10-$35 range.

I have an IR Laser temperature gun I use around the house to check on various temperatures and find it is accurate enough for me if I aim it at the pool or spa water surface.

Thanks for the replies! Good info there.

Have you tested how your BBQ thermometer correlates with the EasyTouch readings?
Air and water are within a couple degrees of agreement.

The solar temp is of most concern because I'm hoping to turn on solar for the season if the sun would ever come out, and that sensor gets the most abuse from weather. To read that with a handheld thermometer requires a ladder in the dirt and the dirt is too soft from all the rain.

My panels are mounted on a pergola and I can see their undersides. I wonder whether an infrared thermometer (which I don't yet own) pointed up at the panels would give an accurate reading and I could avoid the ladder. Or is it important to measure right where the sensor is, on top?

I have the Ryobi IR001 and I see HD and Amazon now sell the IR002 model. It projects a laser dot to see where it is reading. The IR001 manual says:

Readings at distances greater than two (2) feet may be less accurate due to external light sources, surrounding air temperature and reading of larger surface areas not intended to be measured.

I have mostly used it indoors to measure temperature of ceiling AC ducts over 2 feet away.

It is a handy tool to have around.

I have the feeling that my air, water, and solar temperature readings are a little off and I'd like to recalibrate them on my EasyTouch.

Can anyone recommend a really accurate air/water thermometer for this purpose? And how would I know to trust even that thermometer? I don't want to spend a fortune because I don't expect to use it very often. Right now I feel my most accurate thermometer is probably my BBQ meat thermometer.
Fragile, accurate, no batteries needed (you can't get mecury in CA):

Reactions: Mdragger88
I like my taylor digital meat thermometer- I have no clue how accurate it truly is but it does correlate with my hot tub’s temperature reading & the display on my fridge & freezer.

I like my taylor digital meat thermometer- I have no clue how accurate it truly is but it does correlate with my hot tub’s temperature reading & the display on my fridge & freezer.
I like it when thermometers agree. I recently lined up 3 fridge thermometers and none of them agreed. I threw away the one that was farthest off.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I lived for years without a meat thermometer & I don’t know how, I have found sooo many uses for it aside from cooking!
I never thought to prod my pool/spa water with it until I read about it on tfp. Now I use it all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Ryobi IR001 and I see HD and Amazon now sell the IR002 model. It projects a laser dot to see where it is reading. The IR001 manual says:

Readings at distances greater than two (2) feet may be less accurate due to external light sources, surrounding air temperature and reading of larger surface areas not intended to be measured.

I have mostly used it indoors to measure temperature of ceiling AC ducts over 2 feet away.

It is a handy tool to have around.

I pointed my IR001 at an AC duct 20' up indoors and got an accurate reading.

IMG_1251.jpeg

I took the IR001 outdoors and while I got readings as I pointed at the house walls and roof I would not see the laser pointer to know exactly what point it was reading.

IR002 arrived today. Its claimed accuracy is ±5° C, which is ±9° F. What a disappointment. I should have zoomed in on the packaging image on Amazon.

IR002 arrived today. Its claimed accuracy is ±5° C, which is ±9° F. What a disappointment. I should have zoomed in on the packaging image on Amazon.
See how well it really works.

I think they are very conservative in their performance claims to not get sued.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.