Calcium scale and negative CSI in fiberglass pools

seribus

Jun 9, 2016
Spring Lake, NC
I don't see a relief hole drilled or any brace supports. Am I not seeing it, or is the contractor confident the shell won't "pop"?
They put pump down the hole with the tube that checks for ground water. Told me if there is water it would roll that way and pump out. Very sandy in this part of Carolina and there wasn't any water present. I'll get some better pics here in a minute.

seribus

Jun 9, 2016
Spring Lake, NC
A few more pics for those interested what it looks like without water. Still drying but whole pool is pretty much same color once it dries. In some places where I've sanded last summer it has returned to faded color so sanding would not have been a good solution for me.

Texas, the last pic is the ground water check or drain. Not sure of technical name.

20190212_124330.jpg20190212_123942.jpg20190212_124327.jpg20190212_123833.jpg

seribus

Jun 9, 2016
Spring Lake, NC
Weather proved to be a foe yesterday evening but they guys got the first rough coat in place and say its set up nicely. A little more prep in a few places this morning and they will shoot the final two coats in. Should see a nice change in the next handful of pics. Since I went with original color they first shoot rough coat and 2nd coat with a lighter color and finally will do 3rd coat in Pacific Blue so as to not miss any areas with coating.
20190213_075600.jpg

Reactions: Texas Splash

drseuss

May 30, 2018
Pittsboro, NC
Hi seribus,
We’re having ours done tomorrow. I’m planning on Pacific Blue too although our original color was Caribbean Blue. I’ll take some pictures as well.

seribus

Jun 9, 2016
Spring Lake, NC
All done. I'm happy with it. Come spring I need to clean tile, pressure wash deck and seal coping. Can close book on this issue though. Tallman did me right. Can't ask for much more. Good luck tomorrow Seuss. The guys are a good crew.

20190213_091458.jpg
20190213_103025.jpg20190213_104924.jpg20190213_112954.jpg20190213_135529.jpg

Figured I'd do a before/after pic. In the old (left) it's still wet but you can see as it drys the chalky surface appearing. On the right after EcoFinish its not yet wet but color looks good and will pop a bit more once its wet.
1550089160122.png

Last edited:

drseuss

May 30, 2018
Pittsboro, NC
Your pool looks great, seribus. Ours was cancelled for today. Don't know when they will reschedule. With the rain next week, who knows. Today is gorgeous. It would have been a good day, but they said they went long on yours and they have another one they need to do. I'll keep you posted.

seribus

Jun 9, 2016
Spring Lake, NC
Your pool looks great, seribus. Ours was cancelled for today. Don't know when they will reschedule. With the rain next week, who knows. Today is gorgeous. It would have been a good day, but they said they went long on yours and they have another one they need to do. I'll keep you posted.
Yeah they did. The rain hampered things. I wish they would have held off for a better day but it turned out OK. It might serve you better if they do it on a day where they don't rush or deal with rain. The delay may be a good thing.

seribus

Jun 9, 2016
Spring Lake, NC
They finally started our pool today. The first picture is after draining and sanding. The second picture they are just starting to apply the product. It won't be finished until tomorrow.

Looks good! Make sure they spray it uniform the best they can. My only regret is that I can see some areas where it looks like it would have been better to hit it with a little more to smooth the color and blend real good. Since filling with water I am fighting to keep pH down where I want it. Seems to drift up faster than usual. Maybe its the new finish. I'm still getting chemistry sorted exactly how I want it. I'm glad you are getting this behind you. Good luck!

drseuss

May 30, 2018
Pittsboro, NC
I can see some variation, but it looks like there is a powder on the surface so I think I need to wait until the pool is filled and brushed. There were a couple places that looked like they were burn marks. The guys said that sometimes the flames shift with the wind and cause that so we'll have to see if the water makes a difference. Now, if we could only get the travertine tile replaced. Dit from Cool Pools came out a few months ago and said he had never seen anything like this. But, he hasn't come back since. I called another contractor who is coming tomorrow to take a look and give a quote. He said that it may be due to settling if they didn't pack it well. Now, if I could only find someone to paint the waterfall. What will I ever do when everything is fixed. Oh, maybe swim!!

Attachments

seribus

Jun 9, 2016
Spring Lake, NC
I can see some variation, but it looks like there is a powder on the surface so I think I need to wait until the pool is filled and brushed. There were a couple places that looked like they were burn marks. The guys said that sometimes the flames shift with the wind and cause that so we'll have to see if the water makes a difference. Now, if we could only get the travertine tile replaced. Dit from Cool Pools came out a few months ago and said he had never seen anything like this. But, he hasn't come back since. I called another contractor who is coming tomorrow to take a look and give a quote. He said that it may be due to settling if they didn't pack it well. Now, if I could only find someone to paint the waterfall. What will I ever do when everything is fixed. Oh, maybe swim!!
I'm with you. I have been sealing stained concrete coping to get new shiny wet look back. I need to clean my tile line but I use oxy-clean and do it from within the pool so it may be a few more weeks for that. On the variations, I guess I give up on it looking like day one at this point. It looks better than it did. People are in just to big of a hurry with this industry to get to the next site. If you look over contractors shoulders they act like your picky and then it gets tense.

On the settling I had similar issues that I am pretty sure led to some early cracks in concrete. We had a ton of rain that year which was first year I had pool and all of a sudden at deep end I noticed a hole where concrete deck ended and grass began. Pretty good size void underneath and Cool Pools had to come on with bags of concrete and try to fill it so it wouldn't collapse. Sure enough some time after that I have some cracks from from pool through coping/deck to grass. One in a break line designed to break and another where there wasn't a break line. Same area where void was. Didn't have to settle before concrete was poured. Concrete guy gave me that concrete cracks line. Same as I said above....Too much of a hurry to get to the next site and hard to get to come back out....Unless you need to spend more money.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
JaySav Testing and Balancing Your Water 7
G Just Getting Started 8
P Just Getting Started 13

Other Threads of Interest