Calcium scale and negative CSI in fiberglass pools

I don't see a relief hole drilled or any brace supports. Am I not seeing it, or is the contractor confident the shell won't "pop"?

They put pump down the hole with the tube that checks for ground water. Told me if there is water it would roll that way and pump out. Very sandy in this part of Carolina and there wasn't any water present. I'll get some better pics here in a minute.

A few more pics for those interested what it looks like without water. Still drying but whole pool is pretty much same color once it dries. In some places where I've sanded last summer it has returned to faded color so sanding would not have been a good solution for me.

Texas, the last pic is the ground water check or drain. Not sure of technical name.

20190212_124330.jpg20190212_123942.jpg20190212_124327.jpg20190212_123833.jpg

Still drying but whole pool is pretty much same color once it dries.
I see that now. Wow. I too am very curious to see if my previously sanded areas will return to white. Your treatment will be a treat to watch.

Weather proved to be a foe yesterday evening but they guys got the first rough coat in place and say its set up nicely. A little more prep in a few places this morning and they will shoot the final two coats in. Should see a nice change in the next handful of pics. Since I went with original color they first shoot rough coat and 2nd coat with a lighter color and finally will do 3rd coat in Pacific Blue so as to not miss any areas with coating.
20190213_075600.jpg

Reactions: Texas Splash
All done. I'm happy with it. Come spring I need to clean tile, pressure wash deck and seal coping. Can close book on this issue though. Tallman did me right. Can't ask for much more. Good luck tomorrow Seuss. The guys are a good crew.

20190213_091458.jpg
20190213_103025.jpg20190213_104924.jpg20190213_112954.jpg20190213_135529.jpg

Figured I'd do a before/after pic. In the old (left) it's still wet but you can see as it drys the chalky surface appearing. On the right after EcoFinish its not yet wet but color looks good and will pop a bit more once its wet.
1550089160122.png

Last edited:
Your pool looks great, seribus. Ours was cancelled for today. Don't know when they will reschedule. With the rain next week, who knows. Today is gorgeous. It would have been a good day, but they said they went long on yours and they have another one they need to do. I'll keep you posted.

Your pool looks great, seribus. Ours was cancelled for today. Don't know when they will reschedule. With the rain next week, who knows. Today is gorgeous. It would have been a good day, but they said they went long on yours and they have another one they need to do. I'll keep you posted.

Yeah they did. The rain hampered things. I wish they would have held off for a better day but it turned out OK. It might serve you better if they do it on a day where they don't rush or deal with rain. The delay may be a good thing.

They finally started our pool today. The first picture is after draining and sanding. The second picture they are just starting to apply the product. It won't be finished until tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_6760.jpg
    IMG_6760.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6764.jpg
    IMG_6764.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 55

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They finally started our pool today. The first picture is after draining and sanding. The second picture they are just starting to apply the product. It won't be finished until tomorrow.

Looks good! Make sure they spray it uniform the best they can. My only regret is that I can see some areas where it looks like it would have been better to hit it with a little more to smooth the color and blend real good. Since filling with water I am fighting to keep pH down where I want it. Seems to drift up faster than usual. Maybe its the new finish. I'm still getting chemistry sorted exactly how I want it. I'm glad you are getting this behind you. Good luck!

I can see some variation, but it looks like there is a powder on the surface so I think I need to wait until the pool is filled and brushed. There were a couple places that looked like they were burn marks. The guys said that sometimes the flames shift with the wind and cause that so we'll have to see if the water makes a difference. Now, if we could only get the travertine tile replaced. Dit from Cool Pools came out a few months ago and said he had never seen anything like this. But, he hasn't come back since. I called another contractor who is coming tomorrow to take a look and give a quote. He said that it may be due to settling if they didn't pack it well. Now, if I could only find someone to paint the waterfall. What will I ever do when everything is fixed. Oh, maybe swim!!

Attachments

• IMG_6765.jpg
    IMG_6765.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 38
I can see some variation, but it looks like there is a powder on the surface so I think I need to wait until the pool is filled and brushed. There were a couple places that looked like they were burn marks. The guys said that sometimes the flames shift with the wind and cause that so we'll have to see if the water makes a difference. Now, if we could only get the travertine tile replaced. Dit from Cool Pools came out a few months ago and said he had never seen anything like this. But, he hasn't come back since. I called another contractor who is coming tomorrow to take a look and give a quote. He said that it may be due to settling if they didn't pack it well. Now, if I could only find someone to paint the waterfall. What will I ever do when everything is fixed. Oh, maybe swim!!

I'm with you. I have been sealing stained concrete coping to get new shiny wet look back. I need to clean my tile line but I use oxy-clean and do it from within the pool so it may be a few more weeks for that. On the variations, I guess I give up on it looking like day one at this point. It looks better than it did. People are in just to big of a hurry with this industry to get to the next site. If you look over contractors shoulders they act like your picky and then it gets tense.

On the settling I had similar issues that I am pretty sure led to some early cracks in concrete. We had a ton of rain that year which was first year I had pool and all of a sudden at deep end I noticed a hole where concrete deck ended and grass began. Pretty good size void underneath and Cool Pools had to come on with bags of concrete and try to fill it so it wouldn't collapse. Sure enough some time after that I have some cracks from from pool through coping/deck to grass. One in a break line designed to break and another where there wasn't a break line. Same area where void was. Didn't have to settle before concrete was poured. Concrete guy gave me that concrete cracks line. Same as I said above....Too much of a hurry to get to the next site and hard to get to come back out....Unless you need to spend more money.

Hi Seribus,
How are things going with your pool refinishing? We think we're noticing some of the same issues as before with the surface turning white. And it looks like the pool robot is scratching the surface. Have you noticed anything like that?

I'm new so apologies for 'jumping' in. I have a fiberglass pool, cancun, from viking that is about 3 years old with the EXACT situation as I've read here and see in your pics.... Keeps my blood pressure in the red zone...

Hi Bend, it sounds like your pool is in the right timeframe of 2014-2016. Have you talked to Viking about the issue? The telltale sign is the stripes on the bottom of the pool. It was extremely frustrating for Seribus and me until we found out it was a gel coat issue that the pool companies are aware of. I'm not sure it's been completely fixed in my case, but I'm supposed to have a 10 year warranty so I'll be calling them soon.

Hi Seribus,
How are things going with your pool refinishing? We think we're noticing some of the same issues as before with the surface turning white. And it looks like the pool robot is scratching the surface. Have you noticed anything like that?

Hi drseuss, I am having the exact same issues you describe. I just yesterday had a local pool guy come look just to get new eyes on it. I am able to use one of those green scrub pads and remove some of it so its still new but for life of me I can't think its calcium scale because my pH has been pegged at 7.2 for some time. I have been logging all my tests and no way my csi is near scaling. Its been negative. Its a residue it seems and again I am not sure if its from salt generator or not. I see it more prevalent in the corners, steps, seats and ridge. Is there a such thing as salt scale? I had water tested Saturday at pool store and all of a sudden I have high phosphates, copper and iron. The test in June shows 0 for all those values. I am going to call pool store this morning to make sure they have always tested for these minerals and phosphates. Pool guy also test my tap water and it was high in phosphates. Harnett County water. I am not sure if this matters since I haven't had algae or chlorine issues lately. I have actually had to dial down swg to keep chlorine within range. I'm baffled again. Sorry for late reply. I just saw it as I was going to deal this issue again. For me I noticed it starting again months ago. Maybe even late May or early June.

To start I was going to try to remove the copper and iron and bring the phosphates down. I was going to try Jack's Magic Magenta and Natures Chemistry Phos Free. Trying to do research before I waste money and end up down a rabbit hole.

UPDATE: I just called pool store on phosphates test and they did not automatically test before July unless you had algae problems. It was a manual test previously. So there's that mystery. So I guess another question I have is does high phosphates (4,000 ppb) cause any kind of residue or scale? Or are we having the old oxidation issue coming up through new finish like we did previously? Aggravating to say the least.

Last edited:
drseuss,

When you clean your robot vac are you seeing any blueish tent residue on the filter? I thought we both choose same color ecofinish and starting to think its the old oxidation issue we had before new finish. You can see it in my pic. I also get the marks from the cleaner you mentioned and you can take your finger nail and easily scratch the oxidation/scale off. Looking at my finger nail I see the blueish color. I use hair nets in my skimmer and I have also seen the blueish tent there before as well.

20190926_1057571.jpg

UPDATE: Trying to read up. May have some silly questions here but I have never actually seen copper staining or scale to have experience here. Could this blueish teal color I am seeing be copper staining? My copper reading per the pool store test is at 0.9 and iron 0.4. Both these readings to my knowledge have always been zero but I am trusting their testing which all other values are pretty tight with my Taylor test kit testing. I can do a CH test to see if water is purple at turn point versus normal blue color I guess. My be wishful thinking its something simple vs the previous oxidation issue. Pretty sure it's not calcium scaling.

Last edited:
Hi drsuess,

Did you call EcoFinish? I was thinking about doing so today. To cover my bases I decided to get a Jack's Magic Stain Id Kit to make sure I wasn't having any staining from copper, calcium or iron. Tests made no difference as I thought. I really feel its the same issue we were having and the reason I say that is because of the blue residue that matches the pools blue finish. I see it on pool vac foam rollers and filter. So yesterday while I was doing the test I grabbed a typical magic eraser and rubbed across a few areas and the residue came off on the eraser and left behind a nice looking darker area like it should look like. It didn't take much pressure or scrubbing to see the trail of residue in water or on the magic eraser. I will add those pictures below. Let me know how you're doing with the issue.

-- Magic Eraser after light rubbing

20191002_184239.jpg

-- Pool wall after

20191002_184517_LI.jpg

20191002_184815_LI.jpg

Attachments

• 20191002_184815.jpg
    20191002_184815.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.