Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi,

I needed to lower the level of my pool water about 5" for a concrete decking repair starting tomorrow.

When I did I realized I had a white ring which I presume to be calcium around the circumference of the pool. See attached pic. The ring is on the PebbleTec surface; I have no tile.
I'm almost certain it's scale buildup from years of not managing pool chemistry in the best way. Currently my CH is 550 (prior to the partial drain), and my pH is 7.6.

I do not believe a pumice stone will remove the line but I can certainly try if you folks think it will. Wondering if I should just bite the bullet and have it professionally removed, since the pool is partially drained already? Is it an acid wash that I should look for?

Thanks.

20210214_115357.jpg

Difficult to see how bad it is as when I enlarge the pic it gets a bit grainy.

You possible need a Kieserite blasting - like sand blasting only using Kierserite as it is better for pool tile and pebbletec.
Google - kieserite blasting chandler az - there are several companies in theEast Valley that do this. Expect to pay around $4 per linear foot. While you can greatly reduce the calcuim buildup by better managing you pool chemistry using TFP methodology, you will quite likely never totally eliminate it given our high evaporation rates during summer. You can get it blasted off and brush these areas a bit more, while keeping your water chemistry better in check.

Sadly, not having tile at the waterline is doing you no favors as Gene mentioned.

Budget a waterline cleaning using Kieserite every couple years.

Reactions: DanF
You possible need a Kieserite blasting - like sand blasting only using Kierserite as it is better for pool tile and pebbletec.
Google - kieserite blasting chandler az - there are several companies in theEast Valley that do this. Expect to pay around $4 per linear foot. While you can greatly reduce the calcuim buildup by better managing you pool chemistry using TFP methodology, you will quite likely never totally eliminate it given our high evaporation rates during summer. You can get it blasted off and brush these areas a bit more, while keeping your water chemistry better in check.
Thanks Gene.
Sadly, not having tile at the waterline is doing you no favors as Gene mentioned. Budget a waterline cleaning using Kieserite every couple years.
Thanks Marty. Is that because tile is easier to keep the calcium off than pebbletec? And does everyone in the deserts do a Kieserite clean every couple of years?

Is that because tile is easier to keep the calcium off than pebbletec? And does everyone in the deserts do a Kieserite clean every couple of years?

I would be concerned that the Keresite blasting will etch the plaster or loosen pebbles along the waterline. Discuss with the Keresite companies when you talk with them.

Thanks Marty. Is that because tile is easier to keep the calcium off than pebbletec? And does everyone in the deserts do a Kieserite clean every couple of years?
You can use pumice or acid on tile to remove the scale. I agree with Alan, check with companies on doing the blast on Pebbletec.

My pool is 7 years old and I have some spots of calcium build up in grout lines but nothing terrible. This spring I will use a pumice and acid to clean it up some. Have never blasted it. I have kept my CSI just under 0 since day one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.