Calcium hardness level after acid bath

Cyclist7531

Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2019
Central Valley California
We decided to let the Pb do an acid bath to resolve an issue we were having with our quartz plaster pool. So far the treatment has had a positive effect however since the acid bath a few weeks ago the CH has risen from around 250 to a stable 650. My total alkalinity has stabilized at around 80 and my PH is at 7.6. Water temp is 58, CYA is 30. We are still using liquid chlorine and have not added any salt to the pool for the SWG. FC is at 3. According to Pool Math my CSI is 0.08. Fill water has a CH of 275. Being my CSI is within target should I leave the CH alone or should I drain some out and replace?
Also I assume as our temps warm and the pool is used there will be a natural replace ment of water which would bring the CH number down. Is that a correct assumption?
Thanks

You're right on all counts. Once the acid treatment was completed, the calcium became soluble which is why the water's CH content spiked. You'll have to watch the CSI now to ensure it doesn't try to revert back to the walls. Try to adjust any of the items in your control (CH, pH, TA) to keep the CSI only slightly negative. Of course exchanging some water might help, but you have a healthy CH content in your local water too (275). :hammer: Regardless, a CH of 600 is still very manageable if you contain the pH and TA, especially as water temps increase this season. I would look-forward to other ways add fresh water this year (i.e. rain gutter spout containment, water softener supplement, using a cover to reduce evaporation, etc).

When I need to add water should I use the soft water then temporarily?
You certainly can from time to time. Every little bit should help. Keep in mind periodic additions are probably no big deal. Excessive refills from a standard home water softener may wear-out your unit's internal resin bed faster than normal. I actually installed a separate "out" line from my water softener just to have a separate spigot out back for a hose whenever I felt like adding some soft water.

One thing to keep in mind is that calcium doesn’t evaporate. So if you’re losing water due to evaporation then the CH level in the pool will slowly go up as the water level goes down. If you top off the pool with water that has any calcium in it at all then your CH will continue going up. If you use softened water with no calcium in it to top off the pool then it will keep the CH level stable.

However if you lose water due to splashing and run off from the rain, then calcium will exit with that water and by topping off with softened water then you will be able to (very slowly) lower the CH level.

We decided to let the Pb do an acid bath to resolve an issue we were having with our quartz plaster pool. So far the treatment has had a positive effect however since the acid bath a few weeks ago the CH has risen from around 250 to a stable 650. My total alkalinity has stabilized at around 80 and my PH is at 7.6. Water temp is 58, CYA is 30. We are still using liquid chlorine and have not added any salt to the pool for the SWG. FC is at 3. According to Pool Math my CSI is 0.08. Fill water has a CH of 275. Being my CSI is within target should I leave the CH alone or should I drain some out and replace?
Also I assume as our temps warm and the pool is used there will be a natural replace ment of water which would bring the CH number down. Is that a correct assumption?
Thanks

They had to acid wash mine but PB argued for 3 months blaming my chemicals.
From reading the post here it seems common

I had a pool installed last October and also had to have an acid bath done due to a poorly executed initial acid wash leaving lots of streaks in the pool where the aggregate didn't surface. This sounds like a possible solution to us currently wondering how our calcium level got to a level of 600. So.. the acid bath consisted of 7 gallons of MA being circulated through our pool using a small submersible pump and hose for 3 or 4 days. Does that mean that MA increases calcium levels in the pool? My PH has consistently risen again and again back up to 8 so I keep putting MA in the pool to lower it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.