Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
I have a new plaster pool, about 2-3 months old. During startup my builder implied that I don’t need to worry about CH for a while. It’s currently testing at 190.

Now that it’s in my care, should I go ahead and try to raise that a bit or will it go up over time? I think I know the answer to that, as I’ve seen it drop a bit over the last few weeks, but I wanted to run it by those that are more experienced than I. Fill water is rain in the wet season and softened well water in the dry season. I tested the softened water the other day at 40CH.

You're on the right track. You should increase CH to a minimum of 250 ppm and continue to monitor. If you continue to see a decrease in Ch levels, consider using non-softened fill water for top-offs.

Last edited:
You're on the right track. You should increase CH to a minimum of 250 ppm and continue to monitor. If you continue to see a decrease in Ch levels, consider using non-softened fill water for top-offs.
I wish I had an option for another water source. My home is on a well that has a pretty decent amount of iron, enough that my water system includes an iron filter. My only other choice would be to use raw water straight from the well which would be an even worse scenario. In a sense I’m totally fine with my hardness gradually decreasing, as I know that I can test and increase as needed

I wish I had an option for another water source. My home is on a well that has a pretty decent amount of iron, enough that my water system includes an iron filter. My only other choice would be to use raw water straight from the well which would be an even worse scenario. In a sense I’m totally fine with my hardness gradually decreasing, as I know that I can test and increase as needed
I have a recent thread here asking about my noticeable CH loss over long periods, but was more concerned of leak at the time. My fill water out of well is 40 for CH, but that alone doesn't keep up the pace over the long term. When I fall to around 190-200, I have to throw in another 8lbs of increaser, which puts me back to 240-250. I don't have a full season on my pool yet, but estimate about 3 adds per year is going to be my standard.

Best to avoid use of well water. Since you have to occasionally increase CH, consider supplementing with Cal-Hypo. You'll add calcium and chlorine while increasing the life of the salt cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.