Buying my first home that has a pool... diving into the deep end!

lordmundi

Apr 25, 2021
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm not sure how much regular pool maintenance costs, but I'm thinking I will need to do this myself. I've read other suggestions on reddit to go ahead and hire a pool service for the first year to try and learn as much as I can, but I'm not really sure if I'm comfortable with spending that amount of money... and I'm not really sure how much that would cost!

I've also read lots of things about the size of the pool in gallons, and I don't really know that - the seller didn't list it in the home listing, and I haven't moved in yet. So even if I could grab some rough measurements of the figure 8 shaped pool from google earth satellite photos, I have no idea what the average depth is. I guess I'll find out when I jump in.

Anyhow, looking forward to learning this stuff, and then eventually figuring out ways to automate it and tie in the data with Home Assistant. Ideally I would not only have streaming data from the pool controller, but also some sort of data coming in regularly from automated chemical testing. I'd want to do all of that myself locally and not rely on any data going to the cloud (a big no-no for me!). Anyhow, that will all come much later once I learn all about the ins and outs of everything.

My new pool will be a plaster pool and will be in South Texas.

Thanks for the community here.

Hello LordMundi :) Welcome to TFP <curtsies like a good peon>

Please dont hire anyone yet. You *can* do this. The right test kit and a good plan like TFP will teach you and you'll have much nicer water than what pool guy's give you. In fact, we read far too often of pool guys actually messing up pools and water.

Start reading here.. Pool School is filled with information. The forums good. Post questions there and you;ll have gobs of help. I promise.

Maddie :flower: