MarD

Apr 14, 2016
PLAINVIEW
What material should I use to backfill under and around new PVC pool lines? I was thinking sand for under and first 2-4" over lines, then dirt. Please advise.
If you recommend sand, what coarseness?
Thank you!pool lines Polaris line hole.jpgpool lines after Polaris line repair.jpgpool lines after Polaris line repair 2.jpgpool lines after Polaris line repair 3.jpg

Put gravel under the PVC lines to support them. Sand can wash out and leave the pipes unsupported and lead to cracks. Then clean fill on top of the lines.

@jimmythegreek what would you do?

Reactions: MarD
I Really Really hate to tell you this but it is better now than when it is buried... the wrong pipe elbows were used.. those are DWV pipe and it is used for NO Pressure plumbing like sewage...

You want schedule 40 pipe that can be pressurized and not blow out... So every 45 and 90 will need to be changed in this setup... it looks like your adapters are also DWV so those will need to be changed also..
in Lowes it is at the other end where the DWV is located...

Reactions: Eupelia and MarD
Who did that plumbing?

Good spot by Casey. I would not bury DWV fittings. It is all explained in the article below...

Also why is flex PVC mixed in at the end?

What is the story here?

Reactions: borjis and MarD
Who did that plumbing?

Good spot by Casey. I would not bury DWV fittings. It is all explained in the article below...

Also why is flex PVC mixed in at the end?

What is the story here?
I did the plumbing. I can't replace the old 1.5" flex plumbing because it's close to the pool and buried under pavers. I converted to 2" schedule 40 PVC.

You cant bury that it Will fail with any movement. Every fitting I see in pic is dwv not sched 40. I've ripped out plenty of leaking dwv dont do it. Processed gravel to get close then concrete sand or stone dust around and over pipes. You dont want clean gravel in trenches needs to have mixed fines

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Charlotte makes any of them. Just use a 1.5" bushing in a 2" coupling, keep it simple. If u have a lowes nearby they usually stock a good supply of sched40 fittings. Also anyplace that deals with well pumps/septics or pools

You cant bury that it Will fail with any movement. Every fitting I see in pic is dwv not sched 40. I've ripped out plenty of leaking dwv dont do it. Processed gravel to get close then concrete sand or stone dust around and over pipes. You dont want clean gravel in trenches needs to have mixed fines
Will these work? Or should I get pea gravel instead of All-Purpose gravel?
Thanks!

Attachments

• All Purpose Gravel.JPG
    All Purpose Gravel.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Multi-purpose sand.JPG
    Multi-purpose sand.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 5
Just get bags of paver base. Has rocks amd fines mixed in together. I never use gravel in trenches, the voids cam hold water amd freeze if your in a frost climate. Would be cheaper to have a landscape place drop a yard of bulk road base or paver base if you need more than 10 bags

Yup. Like I said I don't know how big an area you have but bags dont go very far. Road base from landscape supply is 30 bucks a yard max and is 27 cubic feet
Should I pour Paver Base up to the bottom of PVC lines (or halfway up lines) and then cover with several inches of sand and top layer can be existing or new soil?
Pavers will be reinstalled over some of the lines. The top layer over the lines along my fence will be top soil. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd go right over amd right to the top with it wherever pavers will be. I never use soil to replace excavated areas, asking for trouble with that. It's fine to use sand around the pipes, but you want course sand. Either concrete sand or stone dust is what i use. I have many times just used paver base just careful to pick sandier areas out of the piles for pipe areas amd leave the rockier stuff for general base fill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.