Bury Intex Pump Cord

Quick electrician question. The Intex owners manual states that you should not bury the power cord for an Intex above ground pool pump. I am assuming that is because the cord is not rated for underground burial.

In an effort to hide the cord, my question is about whether or not it is okay to run the cord through conduit, and then bury the conduit, or is that a bad idea as well?

Thanks.

Quick electrician question. The Intex owners manual states that you should not bury the power cord for an Intex above ground pool pump. I am assuming that is because the cord is not rated for underground burial.

In an effort to hide the cord, my question is about whether or not it is okay to run the cord through conduit, and then bury the conduit, or is that a bad idea as well?

Thanks.
In order to run the cord in conduit, will you have to cut one of the ends, run it and reattach. If reattaching properly and the conduit is coming out of the ground on both ends and sealed from moisture entering, go for it.

Let me breakdown your question in two answer:

Yes, running a SOOW, SJOOW or W power cord/extension cable inside a conduit will work and will likely last many summers.

NO, running a SOOW, SKOOW or W power cord/extension cable inside a conduit is by no means “by code”. If you do it and the worst happens your insurance may refuse your claim and you may be in a lot of legal trouble.

What I’d do is to run a branch (with all proper permits) and install weather-resistent enclosed outlet by the pool. In most jurisdictions you can run a metal clad conduit as shallow as 6” or schedule 40 PVC below the freeze line (see NEC).

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.