Buried Pool renovation

Ok...small update.....not quite done yet, but getting closer

I finished shoveling out the hot tub
58203-E4-E-A973-4-E89-8-CF5-41-E05951-C0-B4.jpg

They did poke a small hole in the pool side of the wall which I thought was maybe to let the water drain out of the hot tub, but the hole seems to be below the floor of the tub.

We also are starting to uncover what looks like a similar sized hole in the deep end

9948-D96-F-020-D-47-A7-B318-FED27518-AEA1.jpg

Holes can be patched. The shell needs a good power washing and then look for structural cracks.

Also, depending on the age of the pool build, VGBA compliant drains are probably not there. If that’s the case, any renovation will require bringing drains up to code or abandoning the main drains in the pool.

I see now. The hole is punched through in the side wall of the hot tub. It was so full of thick clay that the water wasn't running through.

It wasn't the excavator that broke it, they broke down the top of the walls when the filled it so it wasn't visible out in the middle of the yard

Reactions: jeflogan
It wasn't the excavator that broke it, they broke down the top of the walls when the filled it so it wasn't visible out in the middle of the yard

Depending on how you renovate the pool, that will add to the cost of the fix. Some PB’s won’t want to touch a wall repair but it is doable. If you chose to change the pool shape, fixing the wall may just be part of “shooting” a new shell. You might find that you won’t get any warranty on the integrity of the pool shell that new builds get, but that might not really be a big deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A show about restoring long abandoned and buried pools may be the proper response to the current "Mega Pools" TV malarkey....900,000 gallons with six 2hp VS pumps, 3 grottos, a 360 slide, zipline, and a 50 meter dive column. Someone send this awesome thread to the Discovery Channel.
Any ideas for the name of the series? :lovetfp:

Reactions: borjis
they don't think we can fix it and said basically the same thing....it was filled in for a reason.

When we bought our house, we didn't want a pool, but it came with one. We seriously considered filling it in. But we didn't. And I'm glad we didn't. But I am sure there are lots of people round that fill in perfectly good pools, just because they don't want a pool. Apparently the pool was built in 1981, so nearly 40 years old. The plaster doesn't look perfect anymore, but no leaks so far. Plumbing would probably be designed a bit bigger these days.

But heck - we have a pool, and thanks to TFP it's manageable. And over the years it will get the required touch ups. Already had to invest in a fence, Aussie regulations are quite strict there. Probably could have found a loophole for such an old pool to go without a fence, but I like that we can have friends with toddlers over now without having to lock all doors (that's the loophole for old pools here - all doors leading to the pool must be self closing, windows can only be opened up to a few inches). But that certainly blew the budget for "non-essential" upgrades for now.

Glad you found TFP that early in your pool experience. Good luck with your project!

Guy digging the pool up last week had a problem with his bobcat so we didn't quite get to finish and there's some weather coming in this week, so not sure yet when it will finish, but I did a bit of pressure washing on the uncovered parts

5-CA3-E1-CC-6-F0-A-47-C6-95-A5-48851544-A5-E1.jpg

I did find some cracks, but it's hard to say whether they are only in the plaster or all the way through.

4-F62-B270-FFBF-4804-8702-171204346-A1-E.jpg

2-F6-D8-F04-2-C76-40-B7-A072-7-F1079-F061-A2.jpg

DCB40671-7957-4910-9564-68-B41-AB097-AE.jpg

I've seen cracks mentioned multiple times when talking about looking for problems, but I'm still unclear about what this means at this point.

I've seen in some of the other renovation threads where the pool company has completely cut a hole from the main drain all the way up the wall. So if this crack is all the way in the shell, does that mean we can't fix it?

We are going to call some pool companies to come look, but we really just don't have a clear understanding at this point of what is or isn't fixable. If holes in the floor and cutouts in the wall can be fixed, is there a point where a crack can no longer be fixed???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.