Buried Pool renovation

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
I remember one guy doing a renovation, he had a few bad cracks but was able to patch them with staples and hydraulic cement. Hopefully that will work for yours if need be.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
Its my understanding.. the cracks are no big deal if they are only in the plaster. If they have gone through the shell, the shell can be "Stapled together" so its still structurally sound. (there are YouTube vids that show the procedure) So perhaps the next step is to chip out the plaster around those cracks to see how deep they go.

Either way.. IT LOOKS LIKE A POOL! That's close enough to call the local skate boarding kids and charge them a buck a head to ride that jungle gym!

Last edited:

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
The plaster will need to be chipped out and removed. If your excavator guy wants more work then hire some guys with some demolition hammers and start chiseling out the plaster and tile. A couple of guys with some good tools can get the plaster out in half a day. Then your excavator can haul it off with all the fill dirt.

If the cracks are simply in the plaster then they are cosmetic and you simply replace the plaster. If the go through the shell, then you’re going to need a structural engineer that knows pools or a very trustworthy pool builder (I know, that’s an oxymoron in some areas) to vice you guidance on how repairable it is.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
To "vice you"... Now there is a subliminal Freudian Malapropism!

sorry Matt I couldn't resist
iPhone keyboards and my fat fingers don’t get along. Not to mention Apple’s predictive text and auto spell have gotten worse with every iOS update, not better.

But I leave it up to the reader to figure it out .... and you need to get your mind out of the gutter 😝

Reactions: mguzzy

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
iPhone keyboards and my fat fingers don’t get along. Not to mention Apple’s predictive text and auto spell have gotten worse with every iOS update, not better.
It was sad the day darnyouautocorrect.com went off line.
(I guess I can't link to the mashable article, darn filter)

Last edited:

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
If the cracks are structural and point to signs of sub-base movement or erosion, then a structural engineer absolutely needs to be consulted first in order to come up with a remediation plan. You don’t want to do anything or add anything to the pool until the geo-structural questions are answered. I would say that any Pool builder that values their reputation and professional liability wouldn’t touch that pool until a structural engineer looked at it.

@jimmythegreek any thoughts on this one?

BowserB

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Katy, Texas
I was half expecting to read that you found a '62 Volkswagen in the deep end. My PB told me he actually did dig up an old VW when building a pool out in the county. A friend of ours bought a house during the repo days of the 1980's. He had a mentally challenged son and decided to fill in the pool. That later hurt the resale price--not the lack of a pool but rather that there was a filled in pool which would complicate building a new pool. Big 1 acre lot but the filled in pool was in the best place for a pool.

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
I would just keep digging it out amd then clean it up well. That's gonna show you what's what. In the one pic the crack is pretty open I'd bet its thru the shell there. Realistically anything can be fixed. With old pools you never know the history. Did they not want a pool anymore, did the shell crack, no money for repairs, plaster, etc. I excavated out a pool shell for a bank owned a few years ago that was filled with no permit in north jersey. After ripping concrete with a hammer, and filling hole I got my balance check and told the bank rep it was a shame, pool had nice plaster and tile it still looked good after 14yrs underground. She told me the owner passed that's how they acquired it but their granddaughter drowned in the pool and they filled it in days later in anger. I couldn't blame them for that