Buried Pool renovation

Following to see how this turns out ....

Question - when you bought the home, did the seller disclose that they had buried a pool in the yard?

In some states and municipalities, it would be illegal for a seller to sell a home and not disclose that kind of information. It could open them up to all sorts of future liability and torts if they did not properly fill in the pool and deprecate the structure. I’m not suggesting you engage in any legal fights, just curious about the condition of the sale ...

Reactions: duade
Just dropping in to say hi, I don't watch many posts, but I am all in on this one. 👁 Good luck, I am so hoping you have a beautiful tfp pool at the end of your adventure!

So the pool company quoted you 15k to excavate the hole? :poop: At that rate it would cost about a million dollars for them to actually build a pool.

Keep digging, somehow I doubt this pool was filled in "correctly".

So the pool company quoted you 15k to excavate the hole? :poop: At that rate it would cost about a million dollars for them to actually build a pool.
They're not just digging a hole. They would be trying to excavate an existing pool without further damaging the existing pool structure. Big difference.

Since we have other projects going on around the house that are gonna need an answer about this project before they can move forward, we got sick of waiting. We decided it was worth the money to do an exploratory dig to see if we could find the bottom and make sure the deep end wasn't completely missing the floor.
:lovetfp:
It's the TFP-way, Do It Yourself!!! 🚜

Reactions: mguzzy and Newdude
They're not just digging a hole. They would be trying to excavate an existing pool without further damaging the existing pool structure. Big difference.
Its still outragous. I would hire a handful of day laborers or local teens and pay them $25 an hour. It would be empty in 2 days for $2k. Haul away would cost whatever the local price would be either way.

Reactions: borjis
Its still outragous. I would hire a handful of day laborers or local teens and pay them $25 an hour. It would be empty in 2 days for $2k. Haul away would cost whatever the local price would be either way.
Not sure of the cost in their area, the excavation for my pool was $1500 but my pool is an order of magnitude smaller than this thing, but 10x as much. Jeeze, I would have rented an excavator too.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
$15k seems outrageous. They also said $80k total to restore it if it is salvageable.

Even at $85 an hour or whatever the going rate is, an operator can easily dig out the pool for $1000 or less. It's the haul-off that is the problem.

I could have emptied it myself yesterday if I had room to place the rest of the dirt.

I've only run an excavator a handful of times in my life and I was pretty easily able to do it with very minimal scraping of the plaster, which was only made worse by the electrical line floating in the way.

Someone with experience doing this should have no extra trouble at all really. Experienced excavator operators have a pretty surprising amount of control over the machines and can have a very light touch

$15k seems outrageous. They also said $80k total to restore it if it is salvageable.

Even at $85 an hour or whatever the going rate is, an operator can easily dig out the pool for $1000 or less. It's the haul-off that is the problem.

I could have emptied it myself yesterday if I had room to place the rest of the dirt.

I've only run an excavator a handful of times in my life and I was pretty easily able to do it with very minimal scraping of the plaster, which was only made worse by the electrical line floating in the way.

Someone with experience doing this should have no extra trouble at all really. Experienced excavator operators have a pretty surprising amount of control over the machines and can have a very light touch

Agreed an experienced operator can be like watching a work of art, but this level of skill is not needed for this project. Everything I read said I would never be able to use all of the dirt that came out of the hole so I had a load hauled off. I then paid to have 3 loads brought back in. :laughblue:Live and learn I guess.

I would have paid that with no problem.

We were expecting the quote to come in more in the $3-5k range, but it never came in....
I built my entire pool myself except for the excavation and the pool krete base, I did a vinyl liner kit. I would have done the excavation but I calculated that with how long it would would take me to do it the rental of the machine would not have been far off of what I paid. So I say good for you for taking it on as a DIY.

I would have paid that with no problem.

We were expecting the quote to come in more in the $3-5k range, but it never came in....
I am all for them factoring the extra inherited risk involved. Even 3X normal would be fair. Anything over $5k is just absurd.

we just assumed the extra cost because of access. It's 160ft to the back yard from the road an the only way to access is around the garage which has about 15ft of space to the property line on each side.

While plenty of room to access, just a bit harder and more time to load the truck

Also the reason why we don't think the "free dirt" route will work.

Can you rent a truck and haul it off to the local dump yourself? Around here the county run dumps would accept that but you’d have to pay a fee (per pound) ... I don’t think it would cost anywhere near $15k though ...

Can you rent a truck and haul it off to the local dump yourself? Around here the county run dumps would accept that but you’d have to pay a fee (per pound) ... I don’t think it would cost anywhere near $15k though ...
Nearest dump for public is at least an hour round trip and is $50-$100 per load minimum with a normal trailer. I would assume large truck would be a bit more. With truck and machine rental and fees/gas/etc I don't know that we would come out any cheaper for the number of days it would take with all the travel time factored in.

Edit: cheaper than getting a proper quote of $5k or less I mean

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Nearest dump for public is at least an hour round trip and is $50-$100 per load minimum with a normal trailer. I would assume large truck would be a bit more. With truck and machine rental and fees/gas/etc I don't know that we would come out any cheaper for the number of days it would take with all the travel time factored in.

Edit: cheaper than getting a proper quote of $5k or less I mean
dig at night, wrap the tracks in nerf and randomly drop loads in your neighbors yards under the cover of darkness ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.