Building a small pool

gjo

Jun 18, 2018
Cincinnati
Hi All!

Was registered here a few years ago, but seem to not have a login now, so created a new one.

Anyway... we moved out of our house last year where we had an pool we loved. Decided it was time to downsize. We've since built a patio home, and while we love the smaller size home, we are severely missing our pool.

We've been talking about the possibility of putting in a smaller size pool to go with our smaller size house. Joking actually as we thought this wasn't something possible. But as we've been sitting there looking at the space, we've started to think maybe it isn't out of the question.

So we have a space where I think we could fit something maybe 8-10' wide and 15-20'long. Probably would just go 4' deep throughout. Not really for swimming/diving, just for a soak and relaxing.

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have some builders come out and talk to us about what's possible. We're open to just about anything and are going to look at concrete, fiberglass and vinyl.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with anything like this, anything to look out for? Also wondering if anyone had an idea on the type of cost reduction we could see. I'd imagine building a pool 1/4 of the size of our old one would not be 1/4 the cost. I thought I remembered from somewhere using a figure of $50 per square foot as an estimate, I'm sure that would be low if we're going to be very custom though.

Thanks for any advice you all might have!

hiya Gjo, do a search on here for "spool" and you'll find some smaller, much loved pools along the lines of what you're talking about.

Keep us posted if you proceed. We love pics. In fact, can you show us a pic of your back yard and area for the desired pool?

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for all the replies! I'll definitely start looking at some of these threads and will start my own once we get started down the road.

Good to know this isn't something that's never been done..

Post lots of pics and ask lots of questions:cheers:

Love my small pool! We are just finishing up our build now. Our pool is roughly 10 x 20 and plenty big enough although of course we would have loved to have had the space to go bigger. Easy to maintain as far as brushing, chemical additions etc go. As for cost we could have pretty much built a pool twice the size for not much more. Here the pool itself tends to cost x amount for anything up to a certain perimeter. Was handy when at contract signing I asked if we could extend the width from 3 to 3.2m. Pb just added .2 in the contract before we signed and that was that. No variation. Our build was not cheap, but we had significantly impaired access a difficult dig and a few extras that were essentials for us. Keep us posted. Oh and we like photos! Lots of photos!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.