Building a new home, so building a new pool and spa too!

Yes. You will have to get a Pentair Intellichlor power supply and cell. And then you connect the power supply RS485 to the ET Comm bus.

If you go with Pentair, they sell automation bundles (controller and SWG) and then others with pool/spa actuators as well. So you get a bit of a price break. But there are two other great benefits buying/installing all at once.

1. If the Pentair gear includes three specific components, purchased and installed together, (same invoice), everything else Pentair purchased and installed together gets a warranty bump to three years. That can be a big deal, because not much of what you buy comes with less than a four-figure price tag, and if any of them poop out in the first three years, that's a chunk'o'change.

2. The SWG will need a power supply. When you buy a bundle that includes an SWG, that power supply is built-in, inside the controller's chassis, nice and neat. That same box will also house all the circuit breakers for your pool. It's a very clean-looking setup. If you don't bundle, and later add on an SWG, you'll have to either bolt a separate power supply box onto your wall, with a big ugly conduit connecting it to the controller, or try to have a transformer and surge card installed into the controllers box.

Buying everything up front, and installing it all as one, really is the way to go. And the "necessity" of an SWG is something you realize only after not having one, and then eventually getting one. Virtually everyone that ends up with one swears they'd never give it up, with their only regret being they didn't get one sooner!

Reactions: Toxophilite
If I'm seeing Allen's spa correctly, notice how he's got a multi-level bench. That's something to consider, as it better accommodates users of different heights, or can be used by the same person to get a little higher, or lower, in the water to regulate their own temperature. That complicates the build to some degree, but might be something to discuss with your builder.

If I'm seeing Allen's spa correctly, notice how he's got a multi-level bench. That's something to consider, as it better accommodates users of different heights, or can be used by the same person to get a little higher, or lower, in the water to regulate their own temperature. That complicates the build to some degree, but might be something to discuss with your builder.
What we have noticed about ours, as we are older and entertain older folks as well, is that the spa is very hard for those with lesser mobility but the one thing they want to use the most of. Multi-tier, and even that step!!! Man, what a handy entry.

Reactions: Dirk
The Pentair automation will reduce the Intellichlor output when in SPA mode. It is much better to have the SWCG in a position before the valves that send the water to Pool or Spa. Thus the Spa can get some chlorine while in use, when it needs it.
Good to know! I want to make sure that this pool/spa setup done right the first time. As I'm chatting here with other members it seems to me that there are multiple ways you can configure the Spa/Pool combo setup. Before each one (my pool and spa) was it's own system. I treated the spa like a small pool. This time around my main goal is to make sure the spa water gets adequately chlorinated. I know that to have the spa flowing into the pool 8 hours a day is going to contribute to PH rise in addition to the infinity edge of the pool also contributing to PH rise. It makes me question the infinity edge.....but it's such a cool feature!! And then, I have read that many people run their variable speed pumps on low for more than 12 hours. Is this common.

I don't have a spa or an edge or any water features, and my pH is constantly on the rise anyway (due to my fill water). I automated my acid dispensing and my pH stays rock solid, mid-7s. If you did something similar, you could run your spillover and your edge anyway you want to.

The Pentair IntellipH is a companion "add-on" to the Pentair IntelliChlor SWG (the IC must be present to use an IpH). It is a simple DIY installation that might work for you after you've run your pool for a while and find you have a pH issue. Not really something to think about at this stage, just something to keep in mind.

If you decide to go with the Pentair IntelliChlor SWG, be sure your plumber leaves a good length of PVC pipe leading into it. While some here don't agree with Pentair's installation instructions to do just that, that extra length will also accommodate the IntellipH installation should you later decide you need one.

I know that to have the spa flowing into the pool 8 hours a day is going to contribute to PH rise in addition to the infinity edge of the pool also contributing to PH rise.

I run my spa spillover for 20 minutes at 9:30 am to refresh the chlorinated water for the day.

And for 20 minutes at 2PM to refresh the water.

Thats all the spa need.s

It makes me question the infinity edge.....but it's such a cool feature!!

I think the infinity edge complicates the pool with a catch basin and more pumps and is more trouble then the coolness is worth long term.

If you ant an easy to maintain pool don't do an infinity edge.
And then, I have read that many people run their variable speed pumps on low for more than 12 hours. Is this common.
I run my pump at low speed 1500 rpms 24/7 except for 3 hours of cleaning and whatever heating the pool or spa needs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.