Build Started 7/14/2020

Got another contract today, I will attach.
Equipment is: 700 SF Hayward Cartridge, Tristan Hayward variable speed, Fusion 2 Mineral Purifier Salt System, 2 1.5" colorlogic lights, Dolphin Active 20 (think i can cancel this bc i will be getting the dolfin s200 robot) LED Colorlogic bubbler, 400k BTU Hayward Heater
Spa: elevation same as pool (have to change this it is supposed to be raised), 8 jets, 1 1.5" LED colorologic, 2 actuators

I don't see anything about automation, which they said I would be able to control it from my phone. I was planing on doing pentair intellicenter, intelliflo vs pump, IC20, and pentair mastertemp 400k btu w/ the other guy. This company has quoted hayward everything, price is quite a bit better, and I did like them (they did a friends pool and he is happy with it). Am I missing something for automation? Anything else I should change/be aware of?
Thanks!

Attachments

• contract-tropical.pdf
    371.6 KB · Views: 47
Hayward stuff is ok. It is Ford vs. Chevy. There are a bunch of stuff about Pentair that a lot of us here tend to like a bit better.

Hayward pump - I think Tristan is a typo and the pump model is TriStar VS which is an ok pump

Fusions 2 Mineral is a no-go. Read - Nature2 Fusion - Further Reading You do not want minerals in your pool. They lead to staining and other unwanted side effects. All you need is a good SWG. Instead get Hayward AquaPlus which is a packaging of their Aquarite SWG with their OmniLogic automation.

Pentair IntelliCenter has a better UI and more modular flexibility and SW updates then the Hayward OmniLogic. But lots of folks use the OmniLogic just fine.

Hud,

Welcome to TFP and congrats on your soon to be new pool!

Like many prospective buyers you're focusing on the specifications of the pool. Great idea and you've already gotten a LOT of great input from our experts. This is critical and you're way ahead of the curve to get their input now. Too often buyers sign first then ask questions here when something is going wrong and it's too late to resolve since a firm contract is already in place. You can take great comfort in the fact that our experts have absolutely nothing to sell you. Almost everybody else you'll be dealing with is at least partially driven to sell you something so you won't always get the best advice from them.

You should also focus some effort on best practices in the bidding and contracting process. If done well you'll get great value, a perfect contractor for you, and there will be few surprises. You'll end with a great relationship plus you and the builder will look back on the experience as an enjoyable accomplishment. But small departures from best practices can result in a horrific outcome. You can search and find the sad tales on here. Most people tend to blame the contractor. My experience is the opposite. When owners don't take the time to conduct the process well they're at least half to blame. So I strongly recommend you peruse our construction best practices and ask any questions you have. We have a number of experts from the builder and owner side that will be able to advise.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: hudsondds
yea, I sent him the the info for all the pentair equipment I wanted and he will send me another quote in a few days; however, his first quote was already 7k higher than the second and with the changes to equipment it is just going to go up even more. I scheduled a couple more people, because I hadn't heard back from the second guy (they had the wrong email address), but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the second guy so
I don't know if I even need to get these 3rd and 4th opinions.

The Hayward stuff is fine. I use them and their equal to pentair. Tristar vs is a good pump get an oversized cartridge filter and get an aquaplus bundle with the cell it saves money and can automate and run the spa and everything else. I am not a fan of the leds from anyone. They all die eventually and are proprietary. You can save some $ by doing generics in a niche or nicheleas. It's a small pool 2 lights are enough and there ate creative ways to select colors. Automation panel will remember the last color on a pure line for example.

I’m not sure if I will be using this guy, but now I know a lot more to look at with the next few guys.
Hud,

It's normal for prospective pool owners to learn their specs as they talk to potential builders. As you do this you should also be pre-qualifying builders. Set criteria such as:
  • Experience with the pool type and equipment you prefer
  • Warranty
  • Safety record
  • References
  • Contract Terms and conditions
  • Financial standing
There a lot of additional criteria, this is only a start. Once you set the criteria appropriate for you then use that to decide who can be on your final bid list. Objectivity will serve you well in this process. The reality is you don't know much about any of them yet even though you do actually learn a lot about what you really want to spec out for your pool.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I appreciate all the advice, I actually have 4 more (thursday, friday, monday and tuesday) and am pretty sure I can eliminate two due to poor reviews. I scheduled those, one halfway mistakenly thru a facebook ad and one before I really knew anything and later saw a number of bad reviews. The final two were referred to me from people in the area (all anyone does here is gunite), so I feel pretty comfortable with both of them; however, one said he was too busy to start right away, and it would be closer to the end of summer before he could begin (small builder, only likes to do a couple at a time). May cancel the other two just so I don't waste anyone's time.
@jimmythegreek they have quoted a 700 SF Hayward cartridge filter, I'm assuming this would be considered oversized right? (its only 10,000 gallon pool)

Last edited:
I appreciate all the advice, I actually have 4 more (thursday, friday, monday and tuesday) and am pretty sure I can eliminate two due to poor reviews. I scheduled those, one halfway mistakenly thru a facebook ad and one before I really knew anything and later saw a number of bad reviews. The final two were referred to me from people in the area (all anyone does here is gunite), so I feel pretty comfortable with both of them; however, one said he was too busy to start right away, and it would be closer to the end of summer before he could begin (small builder, only likes to do a couple at a time). May cancel the other two just so I don't waste anyone's time.
@jimmythegreek they have quoted a 700 SF Hayward cartridge filter, I'm assuming this would be considered oversized right? (its only 10,000 gallon pool)
Hud,

Sounds like a great start and you've already implemented quite a few best practices. You may be doing this already but if it were me I'd consolidate your specifications from each builder into one spec and give your "short list" a final crack at it in a final competitive round. I would tell each they've made it to the final 4 (or 3) and you will be selecting the winner from this. You will have minor differences still since not every builder offers the same brands. But it will be pretty easy to compare on a mostly apples to apples basis. In this process you should also ask for a blank contract. You'll almost certainly need to make changes to all of them. Pay close attention to what warranty means, your obligations, permits, subcontractor plan, waste handling, and a payment schedule based on easily measurable for milestones of progress and quality. Also never pay the retainage until after a simple clear performance test.

Hud, you seem to have a great handle on this process so forgive me if I've "over advised". I've just seen too many people go down this road and pay too little attention to the contract which can have very bad consequences.

Good luck!

Chris

Are you locked on the design? Asking only as 3’ is a tight space between the house and pool. I would consider shifting tothe rear wall if you can to give a little more room for the house side. You likely have a rear setback to factor in.

We are putting it as far back as we can, have a 5 foot set back. I think the property line is actually 6" past the fence so that will give us a little more room. I originally considered doing 9' wide rather than 10' for that reason. It sucks, the whole house was supposed to be built 5 feet closer to the road (according to the site plans - new construction when I purchased it), which would have given me plenty of room. I think we will actually have about 5 feet from the house. This is more likely what it will be:

Attachments

• IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I think the property line is actually 6" past the fence so that will give us a little more room.
Hud,

This can be a big deal after you sign the contract. I suggest you get the survey from your closing documents, title company, or county records and change "think" to "am certain" before you sign a contract.

Chris

Also, if your property line is 6' past the fence, I would consider moving the fence back if setbacks permit it. This would be a small cost to gain considerable real estate for the pool.

Also, if your property line is 6' past the fence, I would consider moving the fence back if setbacks permit it. This would be a small cost to gain considerable real estate for the pool.

I think Hudson said 6 INCHES, not 6 feet.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Are you locked on the design? Asking only as 3’ is a tight space between the house and pool. I would consider shifting tothe rear wall if you can to give a little more room for the house side. You likely have a rear setback to factor in.

I think 5' from structures is the code in most places. I had a friend sell a house to an FHA buyer. He had to replace all the windows with tempered glass because the pool was only 4 foot from the house. I guess FHA regulations wouldn't allow a situation where you could fall through a window into a pool. I guess that would only be an issue if you sell, but worth keeping in mind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.