Build in Tampa - Pool, spa, lanai, outdoor kitchen, oy vey

Feb 22, 2017
Tampa
My wife and I purchased a new home a couple years ago in the heart of Tampa. We have a decent backyard, with a couple of large ponds, a creek, boardwalk, lots of conservation, etc., which is rare for a newly constructed home in this area.

We've wanted to build an outdoor space to compliment the view, so back in February and March we started getting quotes and reached out to a half dozen pool builders. Frankly we had no idea what we wanted, and we hoped the PB would inspire us, bring good ideas, etc. Didn't work out this way. We received dozens of design options and quotes ranging from $100K to $200K, but nothing resonated and comparing quotes was almost impossible. The most frustrating part was learning that very few companies in Tampa do ALL the work. Apparently in the Tampa market pool builders build pools, and nothing else. The demo and reconstruction of the lanai, relocating the AC units to the side of the house, irrigation and landscaping, electrical, gas tank, kitchen, etc. all had to be contracted out and timed properly by us. Frustrated we stopped the entire process and told all the PB we'd reach back out in the fall.

The pool itch is getting severe so we're ready to start the process again. However this time we want a methodical approach to quoting the pool piece only (the rest we'll handle separately). We're not interested in the cheapest pool, but we do want a mechanism by which to compare pools to determine the best overall value. So after much deliberation my wife and I came up with the basic design below (mad Excel skills :D ). We also staked out the back yard to make sure it all works. We then want to invite all the PB over, give them the basic design and ask them to quote. I think it's important to have the PB quote the pool, spa, basic decking, and basic equipment since this is easily comparable. However another part of me thinks I should get quotes all in with our desired equipment, automation, lighting, bubblers, pebbling, etc. At the minimum I want a quote for the following:

Pool (as dimensioned below)
Spa (as dimentioned below)
Basic pool equipment and heat pump
Basic decking

What am I missing!?!?!?! What else should I think of in the initial quote!?!?!?!

I will do a new pool build, btw, with tons of photos and drone shots. Hopefully I or a mod can change the title of this post when the time comes. :D

pMV5vVH.png

1NA2mZ9.jpg

jny0NBd.jpg

VLtZ5te.jpg

Re: Build in Tampa - Pool, spa, lanai, outdoor kitchen, oy vey

BUt, but, but the new baby trees never even got started good LOL

You have a very solid plan. As soon as you get your first quote post it up here and let us pick it apart then the next one will be even better!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Arlakin24

What wrong with that pool you already have?!?! :shark:

Good luck!

Will definitely post up my first and subsequent quotes.

Lots of turtles, ducks, and fish, but no alligators. Which is surprising cause the creek and conservation meanders through a few miles in Tampa relatively undisturbed.

So...you haven't SEEN the gators. ;) You say "in the heart of Tampa"...I'm in S. Tampa. We are going to need to keep an eye on each other's builds!

That's a nice looking lot will look even better with a pool! I was curious on why you have the spa offset but see you have it lined up to be able to watch TV and assuming the window prevents it being centered. Not that it is bad offset I am just a very symmetrical person and my OCD kicks in.

So...you haven't SEEN the gators. ;) You say "in the heart of Tampa"...I'm in S. Tampa. We are going to need to keep an eye on each other's builds!

HEHE correct. We spend a bit of time outside and have never seen one lounging around taking in the sun. Probably worth having someone from fish and wildlife to inspect the ponds. Don't want a kid to be snatched up.

That's a nice looking lot will look even better with a pool! I was curious on why you have the spa offset but see you have it lined up to be able to watch TV and assuming the window prevents it being centered. Not that it is bad offset I am just a very symmetrical person and my OCD kicks in.

You nailed it. I too prefer symmetry, but knowing how we'll use the space, placement of the outdoor kitchen, fire pit, seating, etc. the spa works very well aligned with the TV.

It's amazing how builders can't follow simple instructions. I asked everyone to quote the following for comparability purposes.

Pool, spa and sun shelf with specific measurements provided
Pool equipment with automation
Heat pump
Brick paver decking with brick bull-nose coping
Screen enclosure footers only (no screen, just the footers)

f6a377b2fcec73bf2977bae764b7cb9dac7dafa65cfcaacb2f02c7c272768446.jpg

Close enough quotes below :D . We will upgrade the pavers, tile, and pool finish, but for now this should suffice for comparability purposes. So how bad am I getting screwed? What should I do differently.

hw9qxw0.jpg

ZLHzJMU.jpg

Builder A $53,500
POOL SIZE- 379 sq ft 15x39 ft 3ft to 6ft deep
DECK SIZE- 923 sq ft pool deck includes 140 sq ft Lanai Coverage
Lifetime Structural Guarantee
Engineered Plans and Necessary Permits City of Tampa
Normal grading and removal of sod from pool site and deck area.
Steel reinforcing, engineered for pool requirements with two (2) steel bars in bond beam.
Mini shuttle Dig
High strength bond beam Gunite shell 3500 P.S. I
Six inch band of ceramic6x 6 waterline tile
One set of hand formed shallow end steps
Sunshelf & Bubbler Fountain W/ Valve W/Actuator
Swim out Bench in Deep end
Dual Main Drains 4 Returns
Automatic Wide-Mouth Skimmer in Beam
Dedicated Vacuum Line W/ Child safety cap
Riv Energy Circulation
Deep heat return in pool
1Pool/ 1Spa Intellibrite Color LED Lights (3 Year Warranty)
Easy Touch 4 Automation with extra actuator &Wireless Handheld remote control
Interior Finish Marquis Pool Quartz (10 Year Warranty)
Electrical hook up (All Wiring 1 Year Warranty)
Intelliflow Variable speed energy efficient 2.9 Pump (3 Year Warranty) PENTAIR $1800
Cartridge Filter 150sf (3 Year Warranty) PENTAIR
Chlorinator – Salt Generator PENTAIR IC20
8Ft Spa raised 12 inch W/ Tile face 2 h.p blower Package
Heat Pump Pool & Spa
50 ft of Deco Drain 2”
Decking - Brick Pavers
Coping – Bullnose brick
Maintenance Kit/Pole /Brush/Broom
Child Safety 7 window alarms
Footer for future Screen
Initial Start-Up Service and Pool School
Taxes/Inspections/Permitting included

Builder B - $54,070
Size/Depth: 15' x 39' Pool - 3' to 5' Deep Three steps in shallow end; swimout bench in deep end Incl.
Pump/Filter: Pentair Variable Speed Pump;
Pentair Cartridge Filter (200 SF) Incl.
Light: Two Pentair 100-watt pool lights Incl.
Interior: Wet Edge Luna Quartz aggregate pool finish; 10-year warranty Incl.
Cleaner: Preplumbed for automatic pool vacuum Incl.
Sanitizer: Chlorine tablets Incl.
Miscellaneous: Electrical hook-up, maintenance tool kit, start-up service & instruction class is included.
Deck type: Acrylic Deck Brick pavers - Upgraded colors, sizes, and shapes included Incl.
Existing Patio: Brick pavers to be installed on existing patio Incl.
Pool Coping: Bullnose brick coping Incl.
Deck Drain: 2-inch deck drain Incl. Deck Footer: 8" x 8" screen footer
Spa: 7' Spa raised 18" with 4 therapy jets and spa light
Sun shelf
Pentair Ultra Temp heat pump for pool & Spa
Pentair Easy-Touch 4 Pool & Spa Automation with smart-phone interface

3' is too shallow. Think about at least 3.5' You cannot do a full crawl stroke in a 3' depth.

PB A-so what is "normal" for the sod removal? Need it spelled out so you don't get a :shock: when they try to hit you up for more $$

What are these two things?
Riv Energy Circulation
Deep heat return in pool

Chlorinator – Salt Generator PENTAIR IC20-I would push this to at least 40. We like to go double the pool size to save your cell life and help with energy costs.

I would go with two lights in the pool. One will not be enough to light up at night.

PB B-Cleaner: Preplumbed for automatic pool vacuum Incl.-does this mean the vacuum is included or the plumbing only?

Sanitizer: Chlorine tablets Incl.-cheap way out for them......why no SWG?

That is all for now LOL

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thank you, Kim. Regarding the SWG, I read elsewhere on TFP that in Florida with no screen enclosure we should go minimum 2X, preferably 3X capacity. So my pool is around 17K gallons, would a 60 be preferable / overkill?

Thank you, Kim. Regarding the SWG, I read elsewhere on TFP that in Florida with no screen enclosure we should go minimum 2X, preferably 3X capacity. So my pool is around 17K gallons, would a 60 be preferable / overkill?

I don't have pool experience - yet - so I bounce things off my coworker.. He says: get largest cartridge filter and SWG within your budget. As for SWG - he said the greatest benefit to being 3x oversized is when he has to "shock" his ~9k gallon pool, he cranks up the SWG to 100% and it raises the FC to shock levels.

True that you may be able to bring to SLAM level with the SWG. Only downside is they produce a finite amount of chlorine over their lifespan. So doing 100% causes that to come sooner. Using a bottle of bleach or liquid shock is super simple too if a SLAM is needed.

Those prices seem exceptionally low. Maybe pools are just more expensive in Texas

To be fair I've asked every builder to give me their absolute basic, lowest and best price for the following items:

Pool spa and sun shelf with very specific measurements
Heat pump
Screen enclosure footers only (no screen)

Once I hit up the design center and upgrade the equipment, decking, coping tile, add a spill over, bubblers, better equipment, etc. this will cost me $10K to 20K more, easy. I asked for bare bones for comparability purposes. Want to keep these guys honest.

To be fair I've asked every builder to give me their absolute basic, lowest and best price for the following items:

Pool spa and sun shelf with very specific measurements
Heat pump
Screen enclosure footers only (no screen)

Once I hit up the design center and upgrade the equipment, decking, coping tile, add a spill over, bubblers, better equipment, etc. this will cost me $10K to 20K more, easy. I asked for bare bones for comparability purposes. Want to keep these guys honest.
Still much lower than what I paid. I'm at $60k with no spa, no sun shelf, no bubbles no automation. $5k of that is for the in floor cleaning system, so $55k for bare bones.

Still much lower than what I paid. I'm at $60k with no spa, no sun shelf, no bubbles no automation. $5k of that is for the in floor cleaning system, so $55k for bare bones.

I have observed that prices in Florida have been much lower than any where in the country. If we lived in other states we would not be able to afford a pool. We paid 1/3 what you are paying back in 2009:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.