Buffalo, NY - Gunite Saltwater Pool Build

Pump - Pentair Variable Flow - there are lots of different model IntelliFlo pumps. 011028 VS or 011056 VSF you want. You don't want the SVRS model or the I1 or I2. So you need to get more specific and approval over substitutions.
Filter - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 - good
Heater - Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU - good
Lighting - 4 Pentair Globrite - as discussed change to Microbrite
Sanitizer - Pentair IC60 Salt - good
Automation - Pentair Intellicenter - you want the bundled IntelliCenter that has the SWG power center integrated in the box
Controller - None
Cleaning System - None
Cover - Mesh Safety Cover - good

This is a "fancy" main drain. The plaster helps it blend in and the lower profile helps with cleaning and such.

Builder confirmed we will have two (2) main drains. We decided to go w/out the autofill and overfill.

Microbrites are nicheless lights that fit in 1.5" pipe. You don't want Glorbrites. Otherwise youc an look at CMP lights.

Get 2 skimmers. That way if one skimmer has a problem you can shut it down and use your pool. With one skimmer your pool will be shutdown until you get it repaired.

Eeegads.... NO on the Globrites, please! They all seem to break down in 2-3 years and the proprietary niche does not allow for any changes of lamp.
Ask for the Microbrites instead.

Maddie ☮️

We've added a skimmer - an extra $900. Eek. Microbrites have been added in place of Globrites.

Pump - Pentair Variable Flow - there are lots of different model IntelliFlo pumps. 011028 VS or 011056 VSF you want. You don't want the SVRS model or the I1 or I2. So you need to get more specific and approval over substitutions.
Filter - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 - good
Heater - Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU - good
Lighting - 4 Pentair Globrite - as discussed change to Microbrite
Sanitizer - Pentair IC60 Salt - good
Automation - Pentair Intellicenter - you want the bundled IntelliCenter that has the SWG power center integrated in the box
Controller - None
Cleaning System - None
Cover - Mesh Safety Cover - good

For the Pentair Variable Flow Pump, builder confirmed ours will be the 011056 VSF. For the Pentair Intellicenter Automation, builder confirmed our IntelliCenter includes the i5P Personality Kit ... is this the same as the SWG power center integrated in the box?

For the Pentair Intellicenter Automation, builder confirmed our IntelliCenter includes the i5P Personality Kit ... is this the same as the SWG power center integrated in the box?

No, you want the 5PIC40

Otherwise you will end up with another box for the IntelliChlor PC100 Power Center

Hi @ajw22 - Thank you so much for the swift response. What's the difference if they're together vs separate? Any difference in how the pool is controlled, maintenance costs, automation, etc.? Pool builder wants me to call him to chat about this so just trying to understand better so I can push a bit harder.

Hi @ajw22 - Thank you so much for the swift response. What's the difference if they're together vs separate? Any difference in how the pool is controlled, maintenance costs, automation, etc.? Pool builder wants me to call him to chat about this so just trying to understand better so I can push a bit harder.
Another box on the wall. The equipment is identical. I think the bundled cost is a bit less then separate boxes.

@ajw22 - One more question. I spoke w/ the builder directly and he will be proceeding with the 5PIC40. The person I was talking to apparently isn't the equipment guru. Since I'll have the Pentair IC60 Salt how does that work w/ the 5PIC40? Maybe you meant 5PIC60?

@ajw22 - One more question. I spoke w/ the builder directly and he will be proceeding with the 5PIC40. The person I was talking to apparently isn't the equipment guru. Since I'll have the Pentair IC60 Salt how does that work w/ the 5PIC40? Maybe you meant 5PIC60?

Pentair does not have a 5PIC60.

Some builders or pool stores will be happy to pull the IC40 and substitute a IC60 and charge the difference.

How many gallons will be in the pool?

Pentair does not have a 5PIC60.

Some builders or pool stores will be happy to pull the IC40 and substitute a IC60 and charge the difference.

Thanks! This is what the builder said, too. He'd go w/ the 5PIC40 and swap in a IC60. I'll find out the gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right now it's 21,343 gallons. Honestly was expecting it to come in bigger around 35k. Pool is currently ~38' x ~20' and depth of 3.5' to 8'. Thoughts? I think your 20x50 / 35k is probably close to the max, no?

Right now it's 21,343 gallons. Honestly was expecting it to come in bigger around 35k. Pool is currently ~38' x ~20' and depth of 3.5' to 8'.
My 20x40 / 3.5 - 8 ft was 35k. Shave 2 ft off the deep end and it's still about 32.5k gallons.

(2ft X 20ft X 8ft X 7.481 gallons per cu ft. )

My 20x40 / 3.5 - 8 ft was 35k. Shave 2 ft off the deep end and it's still about 32.5k gallons.

(2ft X 20ft X 8ft X 7.481 gallons per cu ft. )
I guess since it's a free form layout the math isn't as simple as the above as there wider/thinner portions? Pic attached for visual.

Attachments

• Dimensions.jpg
    Dimensions.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Newdude
Yeaaaaaaaaah. Having lots of shallow end and the walls bowing inward may steal 1/3 of your gallons. From the pic, 21k is more reasonable. Fine tune it after with FC doses and PoolMath

Yeaaaaaaaaah. Having lots of shallow end and the walls bowing inward may steal 1/3 of your gallons. From the pic, 21k is more reasonable. Fine tune it after with FC doses and PoolMath
Question is ... should we make it bigger :cool:. We're thinking of adding a slide, which I assume would benefit from a wider deep end?

Question is ... should we make it bigger :cool:. We're thinking of adding a slide, which I assume would benefit from a wider deep end?

Recognize that bigger and deeper takes longer to heat, takes more chemicals and water. It establishes a higher cost structure for the pool forever.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I may not be the one to ask. I just stalled my build because they left me with a 16ft shallow end instead of the 12 that I asked for. :ROFLMAO: (build link in my sig)
Least it's bigger and not smaller!
Recognize that bigger and deeper takes longer to heat, takes more chemicals and water. It establishes a higher cost structure for the pool forever.
Good point. I have a 6 person family and all the neighborhood kids over here a lot so it's tempting to go bigger. Plus it's hard for me to think about the longer term costs when also talking about a six figure pool :D

Plus it's hard for me to think about the longer term costs when also talking about a six figure pool :D
Your 'extra chemicals' will be a joke by comparison if you go larger and it will only matter for 8 weeks of Buffalo summer. It's already hotter in FL than you'll get in August.

• Sad
Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.