Bubbles in the return jet

GenericHbomb

Oct 3, 2015
Rochester, NY
I've read through a decent number of threads on bubbles in the return jet and see a lot about the supply side.

I've gone through a lot of the common suggestions with no luck:
Cleaning and lubing pump lid oring
Ensured all fittings are on well
Checked the pump drain
Wrapped different connections in plastic wrap to check if bubbles stop
Water level is fine

When I turn off the pump water drains to pool until below the incoming line entrance into the pump.

I did figure out a weird symptom that I dont quite understand what it means so I'm looking for a pointer.

When I do the following the bubbles are gone for a period of time but slowly return over time.
Turn the pump off
Switch the filter to waste
Turn pump on and let it prime and run for a few seconds after full prime
Turn pump off
Switch back to filtering
Turn pump back on
No bubbles! They return of course.

Just not sure what this means. Any ideas

I'm waiting on a new pressure gauge in the mail as when I put in this year the gauge wasnt reading.

Generally I find my pressure after a backwash is 10. I can update once my new gauge comes in and I can get a reading.

I will say in the past, unrelated tangent probably, when I would backwash I would have to rinse for a long time. If I didnt, return jet would be quite cloudy. Like rinsing for over a minute. Maybe I've never truly gotten the filter clean.

Only issue with my above thought is your water draining out of the pump when off. It should not. That implies a leak somewhere in the system. Do you hear an air whistle or something like it when the pump turns off?

Might be a spider gasket? A little out of my league. Let's have some other members post.

Might be a spider gasket? A little out of my league. Let's have some other members post.

I stopped by home depot and picked up a 1.5" pvc male cap. Pulled the waste line connection and threaded the cap with some sealant all the way in.

About 10 minutes later no bubbles. Plus when I turned the pump off, no gurgle and no flow back through the lines. So that seems to have stopped my issue. Could possibly be a fluke. The real test is if I can make it 24 to 48 hours with no bubbles.

However, it doesnt quite fix what the root of the problem is.

My assumption is that points more directly to the spider gasket but like you, I'm not very knowledgeable on that end

While I Love a mystery.. I am Broken hearted that you are providing it.. I really hope someone has a quick fix for you..... because I am baffled.. Good Luck.. Come on Forum anyone got an answer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While I Love a mystery.. I am Broken hearted that you are providing it.. I really hope someone has a quick fix for you..... because I am baffled.. Good Luck.. Come on Forum anyone got an answer?

Glad I can provide an interesting tale! Still having air bubbles. Have a new tube of oring lube on the way and going to pick up a seal kit if I can find one for my pump. Will just start cleaning/replacing everything one by one at this point.

So I ended up poking around on Craigslist and found a guy who works for a pool company selling a used hayward super pump for 195$.

With how old my pump is I figured why not and picked it up after work. Hooked it up and no bubbles in the pool.

Considering I already did the lid oring and sealed the drain on the old pump, must have been the pump seal. Could have saved some money but the old pump has been a new issue every year.

So on to a bubble free year. Wish someone could explain why going to waste temporarily rid me of bubbles but for now it will be one of life's mysteries.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.