Central Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Our pool will be plastered (sunstone blue pearl-pebble finish) in a couple of days. I have read the plastering info in the pool school/taking advice from my PB. I will be brushing it twice a day for 11 days, but then I may need to be gone for 6 days. Will the plaster in the pool be ruined or negatively affected without brushing and testing/balancing chemicals for those 6 days? Anyone had any experience with this? I know the timing is not ideal, but not sure what I can do... Thanks.

Your pool will survive after 11 days of brushing. More importantly will anyone be checking the pH and FC during that time?

Use a trichlor floater and put some pucks in for the 11 days. Don't add much CYA before you leave and you will get CYA from the pucks.

What startup guide are you going to follow?

Our PB gave us something similar to the NPC startup guide. Will the PH and CYA damage anything (plaster finish, etc.) if it goes unchecked for a few days? I just don’t want to have permanent marks/stains on the plaster. I would keep the pump running 24/7 for those days away.

pH in new plaster rises as it cures. You need to adjust it down almost every day. Partly depends on what the TA of your fill water will be.

You want some CYA in the new water but not too much. With no CYA you will have difficulty holding chlorine level. And the big risk is you get algae due to low chlorine which can stain the new plaster.

Use a floater and trichlor pucks while you are gone.

Good idea. I have heard that those floaters can stain or eat through the plaster if they sit on the stairs for a while. Should I tie it to maybe the Skimmer lid and let it float in that area to avoid it resting on the steps and causing stair plaster issues? Will it be a problem if the floater is just floating and concentrating in the area by the skimmer? Thanks!

Our new floater kept getting stuck by the skimmer. I've tied it to a bucket by the side of the pool, and it is floating about 3 feet away from the wall, halfway between the shallow and deep ends.

Good idea. I have heard that those floaters can stain or eat through the plaster if they sit on the stairs for a while. Should I tie it to maybe the Skimmer lid and let it float in that area to avoid it resting on the steps and causing stair plaster issues? Will it be a problem if the floater is just floating and concentrating in the area by the skimmer? Thanks!

Would it hurt if they just bring PH down before leaving? The guy who replastered mine dumped a lot of acid in and told me to check in in a few days

Probably not, but if he has mottling/staining problems 3 months down the road, guess what - "It's due to poor startup, bad water chemistry, lack of brushing, etc, etc, yada, yada...................." How many times have we heard that on this forum?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.