Brown dust on bottom of pool.

Mnclark

Jul 7, 2021
Missouri
Moved from here.
Did anyone figure out how to stop the brown dust (or whatever it is)?? Just as mentioned above, I can vacuum my pool and it looks great. I left the filter off all day and it still looks nice and clean. I turned the filter back on and within 10 mins the brown dust returned :(
Help please!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

What type of filter do you have?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.
Intex 3000. After doing some research and talking to some friends they are saying it could be algae?!? I always thought algae was slimy and green or black. Mine is a reddish brown and I can vacuum it with a hose vacuum with a sock on it and get most of it off. As long as I don’t turn my pump back on, the floor stays clean. As soon as I turn my filter on…BAM!! There is that brownish red stuff. I thought it might be sand but my friend said since I can move my foot by it and it disperses it is more likely an algae. My pool isn’t anything fancy it is an above ground Summer Waves 18 x 48. If it is algae I need help!! If it is t algae, I still need help!!

Mnclark,
So the short of the long is that is dead algae and there is no eradicating it unless you follow TFP protocol. If you have the dead algae you most probably have a good amount of algae live. Firstly you'll need a reliable test kit. Read Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool kits compared and order this asap. I like the TF-100 it's the best bang for the buck. You'll need to test your water and post results inorder for us to help you. Test strips are at best guess strips very unreliable to say the least. Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine till the kit arrives.

You likely have algae. Chlorine is what kills algae, not filtering. Read...

Get your test kit, post your water chemistry from YOUR test kit, and we can help you from there.

We still need to see your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

How many gallons in your pool?

I'm no expert but it doesn't sound like algae to me. In my pool dead algae is light tan almost vanilla in color Your pool would not stay nice all day without the filter on if you had algae. If you had a algae problem in the sand filter and it spit it out when you turned it on you would quickly have an algae problem everywhere all the time. I get a dark dusting in my pool but I live in the desert, the wind is kind enough to place it there.

Is this a new pool with a new setup?
make sure the system is setup properly and nothing is broken.
If so how positive are you that the sand filter has the right amount of sand?

Thinking more on this what is your CC if you can't measure it then you might need to get a TF-100 or 2006C test kit.
If your CC is 0 your not fighting anything. Also before fighting an algae bloom you may want to perform a OCLT to see how that goes.

Intex 3000. After doing some research and talking to some friends they are saying it could be algae?!? I always thought algae was slimy and green or black. Mine is a reddish brown and I can vacuum it with a hose vacuum with a sock on it and get most of it off. As long as I don’t turn my pump back on, the floor stays clean. As soon as I turn my filter on…BAM!! There is that brownish red stuff. I thought it might be sand but my friend said since I can move my foot by it and it disperses it is more likely an algae. My pool isn’t anything fancy it is an above ground Summer Waves 18 x 48. If it is algae I need help!! If it is t algae, I still need help!!
M,
Please help us help you. Fill out the signature out, here's how. Please add model numbers for equipment like your pump and filter. My guess is that you do indeed have algae and you don't see it until you turn the pump on because the filter or the pump itself is where the algae is growing. It won't stay this way very long. Sooner or later you're going to have a cloudy or green pool. The only way we deal with this is to use TFP methods that require a test kit that can accurately measure important aspects of the chemistry required to keep it clean and clear. Test Kits Compared. Here at TFP we don't sell anything; you can get one of these kits at many outlets. This also means our advice is never conflicted. Our methods use proven science, your own test results, and dirt cheap chemicals from big box stores. We can't guess what chemicals to add since this can have bad results so please do get one of these kits and post your test results as soon as you can. While you're waiting for the test kit read the articles that Allen posted above and ask any questions you may have. Then we can advise how to get rid of the algae permanently and teach you how to do it yourself permanently.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.