brown algae wont go away

griffith40

May 12, 2024
Providence, RI
Hello all,

I bought house last year with a pool. I had never owned a pool before. my pool is 20x40 and 8 foot deep so a large pool. All season i fought with brown algae and it never went away. i spent over 10k and had pool experts come out 20 times and never got the brown algae to go away. I replaced the sand filter and put new sand in last season. this year i opened and water was clear but had a couple small brown algae patches. the company that opened pool dumped the stuff on my tarp cover in pool causing big black cloud. I immediately scooped it out and vacuumed. went to test water and by time i got back an hour later whole bottom was covered in brown algae. I used leslies green to clean protocol but used liquid chlorine to shock to over 30ppm. I kept it elevated 5 days . leslies said green to clean doesn't work with liquid. so i did green to clean protocol again with powder. the only step i didnt do is clear aid because you have to drop chlorine to under 5 and not add anymore for 2 days after. basically i can shock it which will turn algae greyish like its dead but it just comes back grey instead of brown. when i vacuum or brush within hours its back. last season i had to vacuum to waste daily, brush multiple times a day, and chlorine everyday just to use it. it basically looks like sand all over bottom unless i get chlorine super high then it just turns grey but comes back just the same either brown or grey. i don;t know if i need a flocc or something. I scrub as hard as i can with brush but its hard with the large pool to get much force i have snapped a bunch of poles. the algae appears to come from steps. they get blooms outside of pool right where the steps meet pool. I pour chlorine on them as well. my pool is vinyl but steps are fiberglass i think. i pour chlorine directly on steps and scrub by hand as hard as i can and algae is back within hours on the steps it also always looks brown. my cya is 30 now and free chlorine is over 15. it has been over 15 for 5 days now and algae is grey but still comes back within hours after vacuuming or brushing. this is so annoying i wanted to sell my house even though i love the house outside of pool and am a first time homeowner. any advice would be greatly appreciated. i hired leslies service last year who came out 15 times, went to leslies store almost daily, hired another company last season who came out 7 times nothing has kept it from coming back. I think the person who sold the house was aware of this as he refused to open the pool before the sale even though it was June when I bought it.

Welcome to tfp. It sounds like iron, crush up a vitamin c tablet and place it on the stain for a reaction.
would iron cover the whole bottom like that in a fine powder