Bronze water

Kpforest

Jul 10, 2022
Middle TN
Hey guys!! We have been trying to get our water cleared for two weeks. We don’t have a cover so leaves get in and it gets really dirty. Not abnormal for us, what is abnormal this year is our water is clearing up but still has a pretty dark bronze color. All I can figure is copper/iron. All of my numbers from yesterday were in line with an opening “SLAM”.
pH 7.0
CYA 35
FC 11
CC 2

All I can see is possible high copper or iron levels. How do we get rid of this? It possible came from the pool RX that my husband left in the pump basket all winter and now it’s corroded and pumped all the copper into the pool. Do we just need to drain the pool and start over (that’s mainly what I see in the forums). And if so, we have a 30,000 gallon vinyl liner pool, how low can we drain the pool without messing up the liner?!

TIA!

Hey guys!! We have been trying to get our water cleared for two weeks. We don’t have a cover so leaves get in and it gets really dirty. Not abnormal for us, what is abnormal this year is our water is clearing up but still has a pretty dark bronze color. All I can figure is copper/iron. All of my numbers from yesterday were in line with an opening “SLAM”.
pH 7.0
CYA 35
FC 11
CC 2

All I can see is possible high copper or iron levels. How do we get rid of this? It possible came from the pool RX that my husband left in the pump basket all winter and now it’s corroded and pumped all the copper into the pool. Do we just need to drain the pool and start over (that’s mainly what I see in the forums). And if so, we have a 30,000 gallon vinyl liner pool, how low can we drain the pool without messing up the liner?!

TIA!
The PoolRX does have copper and/or silver along with other stuff you dont want in the water. You dont want to put anything in the pump basket ever. You also dont need any fancy chemicals to close the pool for the winter.

If you have copper stains, you use sulfamic acid to lift the stains and then need to replace the water with fresh.

If the copper is still in the water and not staining the liner, then do a No Drain Exchange.
Okay! So u have some new information. I gave up doing SLAM method because we noticed the water turned this color when chlorine was in the water. So I went and had the water tested for metals at my local pool store and these were the results. So keep in mind I haven’t added chemicals in a few days and we did a small amount of the no drain exchange. Certainly not long enough to exchange the whole pool but probably several 1,000s of gallons. I’m at a loss if it’s not metals in the pool. Idk what else is turning our water a coppery color. Help! TIA!

Well, it says my picture is too big! The copper level was 0.3 and that was the only metal found by the pool store from our water sample.

Never never at all.
Okay! So u have some new information. I gave up doing SLAM method because we noticed the water turned this color when chlorine was in the water. So I went and had the water tested for metals at my local pool store and these were the results. So keep in mind I haven’t added chemicals in a few days and we did a small amount of the no drain exchange. Certainly not long enough to exchange the whole pool but probably several 1,000s of gallons. I’m at a loss if it’s not metals in the pool. Idk what else is turning our water a coppery color. Help! TIA!

Well, it says my picture is too big! The copper level was 0.3 and that was the only metal found by the pool store from our water sample.

Post a picture of the pool water. If you’re using your phone, you can choose a little options button before you add it and it will let you choose a smaller size.

The pool store is not super great at metals testing either and their test accuracy can read 0 to 0.3 if there’s no metals in the water. If it .5 or .6 then maybe that might be a stronger indication.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post a picture of the pool water. If you’re using your phone, you can choose a little options button before you add it and it will let you choose a smaller size.

The pool store is metals testing either and their test accuracy can read 0 to 0.3 if there’s no metals in the water. If it.5 or .6 then maybe that might be a stronger indication

The pool store is metals testing either and their test accuracy can read 0 to 0.3 if there’s no metals in the water. If it.5 or .6 then maybe that might be a stronger indication

Attachments

• IMG_3432.jpeg
    IMG_3432.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5

I did get the picture of my results to work. I will see if my husband has a picture when the pool was super coppery. It’s not like that right now because our chlorine is low

I did get the picture of my results to work. I will see if my husband has a picture when the pool was super coppery. It’s not like that right now because our chlorine is low
Could it be described as “rusty” cause thats what others have said iron does when chlorine gets higher.

Any chance you have a cartridge filter, skimmer baskets, or other stuff thats got a turquoise tint to it (kinda like when copper gets wet or oxidizes)?

You can get a Jacks Magic metals test to identify the type of metals in the water and theres a different process to get rid of it. But if its not staining yet, the easiest option is to replace all the water with a no drain exchange and dont use the poolRX thing anymore.

Could it be described as “rusty” cause thats what others have said iron does when chlorine gets higher.

Any chance you have a cartridge filter, skimmer baskets, or other stuff thats got a turquoise tint to it (kinda like when copper gets wet or oxidizes)?

You can get a Jacks Magic metals test to identify the type of metals in the water and theres a different process to get rid of it. But if its not staining yet, the easiest option is to replace all the water with a no drain exchange and dont use the poolRX thing anymore.
I don’t see any staining and it could very much be described as rusty! I’m not sure I can successfully do this no drain exchange on my own. Is it possible to just drain the pool and replace the water after??