Broken Rope on Auto Spa Cover

Kit

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2016
Medford, Oregon
I have a 10' X 14' inground spa with a Cover Pools Autosave Safety Spa Cover. Until I get the ropes replaced, I need to be able to close the cover manually. Can anyone please tell me how I might do this?

Thank you so much.

READ THIS A FEW TIMES TO UNDERSTAND IT. I TRIED EXPLAINING THE BEST I COULD
Depending if you have one rope or both broken. If one is broken and that side will need to be replaced then pulling it back all the way to the motor and cut it out so there's very little left on the motor spool for that given rope. If both are broken then you must do it for both ropes. The way these covers work is the following: if the cover is open then most of the rope is out in the tracks and the motor would turn spool in the direction to bring back rope on to the spool to close the cover i.e. filling up the spool with rope as it's closing the cover. If it were closed, by opening the cover you'd be filling back up the spool as it brings back more rope. Just one more detail. The motor turns two different directions one for closing and one for opening. When the motor opens the cover it's turning the cover shaft tube in the direction to spool more cover onto the shaft tube while the ropes spools are "free wheeling" and letting out the rope. When the motor closes the cover the motor reverses and it drives the rope spools to take on more rope while the shaft tube of the cover is "free wheeling" sort of unspooling the cover. Here's what I've done on more then one occasion when one side was broken, as said earlier cut out that side rope and sometimes it a bit more work if you've tried going back and forth a little till you've realized something ain't right. After rope is out and away you will tie a rope to the metal bracket on the leading side right at the bar and will need a second person to close but it's real simple. One person at the switch and the other one holds the rope. While closing you pull the rope at the same speed the good side is moving all while someone is at the switch in case you'd need to reposition yourself. Keep pulling the rope till the cover is closed. To open you need to do nothing except let the motor spool the cover back open and the loose end with the rope just follows back to the other side of the pool. Sounds lengthy but it's real simple, best of all the pool can still be used.
If both sides are broken (unusual) you cut out rope from both spools and attach rope to not metal brackets at the leading edge bar and will need a third person, two for the rope and one for the switch. In the latter case both men will pull at the same speed to a full closed position and can only be done with the switch in the closing position.

Wireform: Thank you for taking the time to provide a thorough explanation. Let me make sure that I understand you correctly. In my situation, the rope broke on the motor-side of the cover when the cover was open. As you said, with the cover open there was relatively little rope on the spool. Are you suggesting that I cut back the remaining broken rope on the spool? If that is correct, I am curious as to why cutting back the remaining broken rope will make any difference? The rest of your explanation seems straight-forward.

BTW, I had planned to replace the rope myself. But after a bit of inspection & head scratching, I opted to have a CoverPools dealer do the work. The job wasn't rocket science, but not having done it before it would have been a bit daunting for me.

Again, thank you for your help!!

Good question why the rope needs to be cut out. If a good length has been torn off like a full pool length piece of rope then you're good and there won't be enough left to get mangled up but at times it breaks where you're left with nearly all the rope and that can get badly mangled so then take off a part equal to the length of the pool and you should be good. You can compare the two rope spools and will be easily able to see the difference. The fact there isn't anymore tension on the torn side by the spool can cause it to get jumbled up pretty bad. What I've explained in the previous posts was done personally a few time for my pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.