Broken Pump Motor on Back Order -- how long can I safely use the pool?

Jul 28, 2020
Las Vegas
I've got an Intex above ground pool with sand filter and salt water generator. The pump motor has died and Intex says the part is on "back order" and likely won't be available this summer. Unless I buy a whole new pool, the filter/SWG that works with my pool is unavailable for purchase online or elsewhere.

If I manually dump chlorine into the pool daily and keep all the other chemical levels in line with the TFP guidelines, how long can I safely use the pool without a pump?

Quite some time. It will get dirty. You might go find a battery operated vacuum for a pool to clean the visible debris. Or use a siphon to vacuum with and refill the pool.

I would look at getting a sump pump, from Amazon or Harbor Freight, and some filter bags. Home - The Slime Bag Put the sump pump in the pool to circulate and put a filter bag on the exit of the sump pump. Pull it all out when you want to swim.

A sump pump will not put out that much flow. So the small one is worth a try. The adapter they show should work on the pump outlet.

This is all a guess -- so do at your own risk!! But it sounds like it should work to help you limp through summer.

Just curious what you did -- we also have a broken pump and I don't want to replace it for just a few more weeks of summer use here. Did you try the sump pump? Did you buy a new pump? Or is your pool staying clean? I am trying to just keep mine vacuumed, net-cleaned, chlorinated, and as stirred up as I can. Good so far after about 2 weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.