Broken Pipe on sand filter? Repairable?

Ooooooh. He snapped that thing off and now some of it's still inside. A bit tricky. You can't just glue it back on. The are two options that I can see. The remaining PVC inside the filter will need to be carefully removed which could be very tricky. Or, another option is a slip union or adapter that is like a reducer that can slide "into" that white PVC in the filter hole. That reducer would be glued back in there. Then the union that attaches to the outside will need to be replaced. Not your typical repair, but we have seen similar situations.

Is it even worth fixing?
Those who have some DIY time in their schedule might try it. But everyone's situation is different - time & money you know. If either of those is an issue, just going with a similar make/model sand filter makes perfect sense. Don't forget to update your signature with all of that info so others can assist as well.

You appear to have a Pentair Triton (TR-some size) side mount filter. If this is the case and if everything else about it is/was working prior to The Event, then all you need is a new bulkhead connector and some time/patience.

Only including link to Amazon as a reference. Price varies greatly from site to site.

It may be as inexpensive to replace the entire bulkhead connector but will wait for confirmation from you if I am even close to correct with my assumption about filter/broken part, etc.

Post more details about your filter and I am sure we can get you going quickly without involving the 600# gorilla from last year that broke the fitting to begin with,

Would also be a great time to deep clean as all sand will have to be removed to access the inner nut that holds the bulkhead connector to the filter body.

Same answer, different part..

Hard to tell, but taking a closer look at your picture, you may need additional internal parts. It appears that the bulkhead connector may hvae been repaired in the past as it doesn't look like the parts diagram.

Link to parts diagram.

Following link for reference only. Search P/N for best deal

bulkhead fitting Hayward SX244PX

Last edited:
I'd give it a shot at gluing into the white leftover after a good prep with the typical pvc 2 part glue . After that I'd use some of THIS around the the whole exterior of the repair. It will be strong for sure.
Update. I gave the glue a shot, and it’s been working unexpectedly well for a day now. Used JB weld marine weld to glue it on. Then loctite marine epoxy on the outside to seal completely. Surprised it worked but so far so good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.