Broken booster pump - replace or other options?

Jimharris99

Gold Supporter
May 29, 2020
Prosper, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

Yet another “I’m in Texas and didn’t make it quite through the storm” posting. As you can see from the picture, my booster/cleaner pump didn’t make it. I feel like there are others in a similar situation. Based solely on the picture, I’ll ask the unfair question...”is the entire $400 pump needing to be replaced?” I suppose that’s not horrible given other potential things that could have occurred. In any event, did I read elsewhere that another suggestion is to remove the pump altogether, and go with a robot? Would I then just connect the two pipes to keep circulation going? I like the convenience of the Polaris, but if I’m going to spend $400 + labor (assuming I’ve got the pump cost correct), maybe the robot route is worth it?

Polaris PB4SQ is the pump model.

Thanks for the assistance,
Jim

Attachments

• 9BF29E0A-F4F7-4AD2-8AB8-3BBAE1972F5D.jpeg
    9BF29E0A-F4F7-4AD2-8AB8-3BBAE1972F5D.jpeg
    563.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 723E237E-E658-4D54-B1B1-84CA5AD63DEE.jpeg
    723E237E-E658-4D54-B1B1-84CA5AD63DEE.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 16
Most likely only the volute needs to be replaced. But it will be months before any are available. So your thought to switch to robot is quite valid. You would want to connect the piping so the water flow is maintained through that system.

Most likely only the volute needs to be replaced. But it will be months before any are available. So your thought to switch to robot is quite valid. You would want to connect the piping so the water flow is maintained through that system.

Thank you sir...appreciate the prompt responses, as always. You aren’t kidding about supply chain issues. Not much online, and most companies around here can’t even come out for a bid for at least 3 weeks. I think I’ve got the model that doesn’t have a volute, but a pump housing? Maybe it’s all the same thing. I haven’t taken the pump apart any to see if it’s just a small piece or if there is more damage (not that I would know what to look for anyway). However, any suggestions for where to cut the pipe at? Haven’t messed with PVC much, other than to construct some obstacles for my dog like weave poles and hurdles. Before the elbow on each side so another can be attached? I feel like I want to go the robot route, but there’s part of me that still wants to keep it plumbed in such a way that I could connect a pump down the road.

Thanks again,
Jim

Attachments

• 1871838E-EB36-4186-BE0E-FC15F372C93B.jpeg
    1871838E-EB36-4186-BE0E-FC15F372C93B.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 6
Just plumb the two pipes together that currently attach to the booster pump. Wherever it is easiest to do it.

Just plumb the two pipes together that currently attach to the booster pump. Wherever it is easiest to do it.

Sounds good. Thanks. I’m probably over thinking it, just wasn’t sure if I could use those grey pipes or if I needed to start back further. Kind of wish the builder used the quick connect option on the booster, but oh well.

Thanks again.
Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.