Buckeye, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
First time pool owner, have had the pool about 3 months now! Took over testing and maintaining after 1st month thanks to TFP! I’ve been adding Muriatic Acid regularly but TA doesn’t seem to budge! Could this be new plaster related! These are todays readings. How am I doing so far? Any suggestions welcome!369755BC-D383-4516-8468-AF5F705F0F85.jpeg

Crystal clear!
Well then. Welcome and keep up the great work. :)

I like following the LC side of the chart. It allows for lots of wiggle room if any events arise like a particularly high UV day, a big storm, or an impromptu get-together. It can be a huge help as you're learning how your pool responds throughout the season, or through a couple different seasons. You really need a cool season, a hot season and a wet season under your belt. After that, every year will be somewhere in the middle.

*edir* nevermind about the seasons in AZ. Lol. You need a hot season, a hotter season and a 'why do we live on the sun' season.

Also, creep up to a 70 CYA for that AZ sun. Even later in the season, it's brutal and many go to 80. See how 70 holds FC.

The TA is fine and won't stay there for long with all the PH rise you're expecting and subsequent acid doses. Keep managing the PH and never chase your Ta(il).

Last edited:
Frank,

Nice looking pool... :goodjob:

TA will come down over time.

I would just leave it alone, but if you want to quickly reduce TA, it takes a process over a couple of days.

You have to keep testing and adding MA every three or four hours. Initially you won't see much change, but over a day or two, the changes in TA get bigger and bigger.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think those numbers, and the water, look pretty good for a guy who just took over pool maintenance!

Also, creep up to a 70 CYA for that AZ sun
I agree. 60 is great for me in the Chicagoland area, and ok for you, but 70 would be even better

I would just leave it alone, but if you want to quickly reduce TA, it takes a process over a couple of days
Also agree. Sometimes TA likes to sit where it sits, and 120 is not too bad. It does not look like you have a lot of aeration easily available on the pool (waterfalls, bubblers, etc.) so the process of getting the TA down quick isn't as easy. I have tools for aeration, and any time I got the TA down, it would go back up because of my fill water. Keeping my PH in the 7's, my TA likes to float between 90 and 110. Using the water features normally, I need muriatic acid to bring down the PH, and so follows some TA, but when I fill the pool up, it bounces back up. Now I focus on my PH and my TA floats where it floats and I do not even worry about it.

Very exciting times for you!

Your fill water is about 130ppm of TA. You have to be a bit aggressive to lower your TA by large amounts, especially during summer months when evaporation is so high here. If (when) your ph rises rapidly, it would be worth it to spend some time decreasing TA.

I lower ph from 8 to 7.5 every 4 days or so and TA will still rise slowly. Once a month or so, I'll lower ph to 7.2 to drop the TA a bit more so it stays around 60ppm.

Reactions: frankmcs
I think those numbers, and the water, look pretty good for a guy who just took over pool maintenance!

I agree. 60 is great for me in the Chicagoland area, and ok for you, but 70 would be even better

Also agree. Sometimes TA likes to sit where it sits, and 120 is not too bad. It does not look like you have a lot of aeration easily available on the pool (waterfalls, bubblers, etc.) so the process of getting the TA down quick isn't as easy. I have tools for aeration, and any time I got the TA down, it would go back up because of my fill water. Keeping my PH in the 7's, my TA likes to float between 90 and 110. Using the water features normally, I need muriatic acid to bring down the PH, and so follows some TA, but when I fill the pool up, it bounces back up. Now I focus on my PH and my TA floats where it floats and I do not even worry about it.

Very exciting times for you!
I do have an Aerator feature! Would you suggest I use it??

I do have an Aerator feature! Would you suggest I use it??
You could go through the process of lowering PH, then aerating to get it back up, add muriatic acid to lower, then aeration to get it back up, and keep doing this until you get your TA down, but in the end, with a higher TA value in your fill water, it will be a cycle you will likely be repeating all year long. If you focus on keeping your PH in check with muriatic acid, your TA will find it's own happy spot, which seems to be not too much higher than the "recommended" level anyway. I think you will find, "not going through that process" much more enjoyable and spend your time enjoying the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.