Brand new to pools - Day one orange pool

Kari-B

Jun 26, 2019
Minnesota
Last night we purchased a 15 foot x 48 inch Intex pool (4,400 gallons). We got it all set up and started filling it. Discovered the hose clamps were missing so we weren’t able to get the pump hooked up yet. We started filling it again early this morning and let it run until it was a couple of inches below the filter/hose holes, so that we could get that set up.

Anyways, we apparently have some very rusty well water as the pool is a very gross looking orange. I went shopping today to look for the hose clamps and other supplies needed. I’ve tried reading a lot on here as to how to go about this, but I’m pretty overwhelmed right now.

The stores I checked did not have any Taylor tests or anything similar. I was going to order off Amazon now instead. What particular test kit do I need (price definitely being a factor)?

I bought bleach and was going to order a large bag of baking soda off of Amazon as well. I believe I need Muriatic acid to get started as well, but am not exactly sure what product I need to order. I see a lot of Muriatic acid replacements, but I’m guessing I don’t want those. So why exact type of product am I looking for?

Anything else I need to get started? I know I need a skimmer as well and I have bought some white socks. Thanks for any and all help!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well there are 2 paths forward here with your smaller pool
1. Full bore TFP methods that would require one of the recommended test kits: Test Kits Compared
2. Follow the Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools - Trouble Free Pool and likely get by with a more limited test kit. Knowing that if the water goes bad, you are draining and starting over.

Forget the baking soda. You will not need it. You may not need muriatic acid either.

To start you just need bleach and stabilizer (CYA).

Have you read much of Pool School? Start with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I just received my Taylor K-2106 and tried figuring out how to test. Tried watching a video to guide me along as well. I’m am so very confused on all of this. This is clearly not going to be my strong suit.

I believe these are the reading I got.
FC - 0
PH - 7.8 (took 7 drops to get to 7.4)
TA - 3100
CH - 250

First, am I even in the ballpark for logical results? Second, what is my next step?

My tester has the tube for the CYA, but I don’t have the squeeze bottle like the guy used in the video I watched. So I wasn’t sure how to test that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I may have screwed up with my test kit. Looking at it closer it is for Bromine not chlorine. It’s not returnable, is this still ok to use for my testing? Is this why I don’t have the white capped bottles and squeeze bottle?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.