Brand new to pool care and feeling overwhelmed

Well, something is tearing-up that chlorine. Getting it up to at least 10 is a priority. You have a fairly large pool so it's a bit of work I know. I wouldn't worry about the fine-tuning of the pH back & forth. 7.0 - 7.2 is fine. Next time you hit the water with chlorine and test in 10 minutes, please post a CC reading as well. Curious to see if it spiked. Don't add any stabilizer yet. If you do have ammonia, it will only make it worse. Wait until you know the FC is beginning to hold between 5-10 after a 10 minutes test.

How much chlorine are you adding? This is the 10% stuff? What is the date stamp on the jugs (5-digit number starting with 18 or 19)?

Dont worry too much about the PH anywhere between 7 and 8 is fine. We say to start a slam aim for 7.2, then do the slam and dont test for ph after you are done with slam. Chlorine would not affect ph too much, so start the slam and only test for FC and CC.

When you brush, does the material sweep around -- in other words -- those are not stains, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine/bleach is synonymous if you are using liquid chlorine. :)

It looks like you might have had ammonia (and the bacteria that eats CYA to cause it), due to the first addition of chlorine going so quickly, but it also looks like you cut through it with the second addition since you're at 12.5. I would think it's OK to add CYA at this point, but would let someone else who is more knowledgeable with the ammonia issue respond first. :)

So this is interesting. I just checked my levels again and I’m back to an FC of 1 and a CC of 2. A lot of the water had started to settle. Did I get a bad FC reading because I had brushed the pool just before adding the chlorine? I’ve been waiting for my water to settle before testing and adding chemicals, but this time I kicked everything up. Am I doing something wrong?

You could still be battling the ammonia. You're letting the pump run and mix the pool while you test, right?

If it's ammonia, you'll have to keep adding more chlorine until it burns through it and then it will neutralize the bacteria making the ammonia.

Add enough chlorine to take it to 10ppm. Wait 15 mins with pump running (brushing if you can to help mix), re-test. If under 5ppm, add enough to get to 10 again. Repeat process until you have at least 5 ppm of chlorine in pool after the 15 minutes of mixing.

Do you have a way to vacuum it out? If you have a lot of stuff on the bottom of the pool that might be eating up your FC as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.