Brand new pool, needs a SLAM

Joel B

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2019
Chico, CA
Short story. The pool has been done for three weeks. The guy responsible for set up and maintenance disappeared and the pool builder is not very helpful. “We build pools, we are not chemists”

We have yellow algae already, so I am ready to slam. I have read through the pool school book but have a quick question. For the 24/7 pump, does it need to be on high? Or will a mix of high/low be sufficient.

Last edited:
Getting algae in the first thirty days is called neglect. The pool builder/plaster company typically takes care of the water chemistry the first 30 days as it impacts warranty.

Higher FC can damage the color/pigments when plaster is new.

Reactions: Tena
Quick question, once I am considered out of the SLAM, is that when I look at adjusting my Ph and adding borates?

Or do I need to wait until the levels on the chlorine are at a certain number before proceeding

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We advise waiting at least one full season prior to considering adding borates. See what your pool water chemistry is like before adding the complexity of borates to it.

Once your FC is at 10 ppm or below, your pH test is valid and you can adjust it accordingly.

Reactions: Joel B
Also with new plaster your PH is going to be rising like crazy for quite a while. Let that plaster cure, learn your pool. Then consider borates.

Mine has been plastered for 2 years now, I still would like my TA lower before I think about borates. And at this point I think I have a pretty good feel for what my pool does and needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.