Brand new pool has rough edges…why and what should I do?

lori_1707

Dec 30, 2022
Dinuba California
Our plaster was done in one day (about 5 hrs. ) As soon as it was done the plaster guys knocked on my door and said we’re done and your pool is filling with water it should take two days to be filled and then your free to jump in. The water was filled on 11/1/22 it was literally cold and raining that day but my crazy kids and husband jumped in anyway. We didn’t really notice the pool walls or floor because they all just jumped in and out. Fast forward a month later 12/1/22 we all got in our new jacuzzi (we were told we had to wait a month to turn the heat on otherwise the jacuzzi walls/plaster could melt) once we were in that’s when we noticed the walls and bench of the jacuzzi had plenty of rough patches. We also noticed a few white stains on the bottom of the pool and jacuzzi which looks like the leftover dust from the plaster. It’s really weird. Anyhow, I’m not sure how to fix these two issues but as I’ve read in a few articles it seems like maybe before the plaster crew filled my pool with water they should have sanded the pool? Or even given us instructions on what to do to the walls. We’re left wondering. Help! Please!!

Hi and welcome to TFP. I am so sorry we are meeting this way :(

Did anyone from the company do any kind of "start up" to the pool after they plastered it? One of the things they may have done is "acid wash" it. Did they add anything to the water once it was filled? Did anyone brush the pool once it was filled?

I am guessing at the answers (no or unknown) and guessing they did not give you any kind of directions on how to care for your new plaster.

I am going to share a link that shows you some of the ways to start up new plaster:

I await your answers and we will go from there.

Hi. So the pool was filled in 2 days and on the 3rd day of it being completely filled with water is when the pool company sent out their chemical start up guy. He put chemicals in our pool for 3 straight days, then came back after the weekend and did his thing for two more days and we never saw him again. I did see him brush the pool the first 3 days but the following 2 days we weren’t home to see. Since then we were not told to do anything else besides regular maintenance on our pool. My husband hired a pool guy and he’s been keeping up with the pool.
A weird thing that has happened besides the rough patches is this white patches and some grey spotting. I’ll attach images. Let me know your thoughts on the spotting/white patches. Thank you!!

2927D44C-9EB9-4EA0-8F71-916F68DE9BEE.jpegB2281E34-B03E-40C9-AA51-F673E53A9A60.jpeg5091A228-2ED4-49E4-B00A-22F7E77A1A22.jpegA12AD450-580E-4BF6-A452-4CBF60BB68CA.jpeg34D6BA94-0540-46BC-8363-AAE846FB429C.jpeg023BFB73-A2C2-40A8-AC4B-52D45C381133.jpeg

Sand the spotted areas with 80/100 grit wet/dry sandpaper and see how it changes.

Haven't bought any yet but the company that renovated my pool highly recommended this. I'm confused on why there would be "rough spots" following a new plaster job. Typically it's trowled smooth (plus whatever else is done) and shouldn't be any rough areas.

As ajw referred to above, it's not all that uncommon to have some discolorations / streaking, etc. Ours had that from the very beginning after it was renovated. It changes as it ages anyway. I was told that once the 'cream' starts to wear off (at least in the case of quartz plaster) the overall appearance / color can start to change and vary. Very honestly, I was hoping for a nice even finish from the start, but that didn't quite happen. Is this a new pool or resplastering? I'm suspecting new....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.