Brand new owner and confused about test results for Alkalinity

cceverett

Apr 22, 2019
Maumelle, AR
Hi everyone,

Just purchased a house with an AG pool. Was trying to test the water with my TF 100 test kit.
I have these results so far.
Cl <.5
Br<1
ph <6.8
FC = 1.5
CC=1.5
Calcium = 300ppm
CYA Test = 20
I was performing the Alkalinity test. I added the R-0007 and then R-0008. It says it will turn green but mine turned pink, I cleaned out the beaker and tried it again with the same result. I did not get to adding the R-0009 because of the color.

Can anyone tell me what is going on.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Welcome! :wave:

From the Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool page:
  1. Add 5 drops of R-0008 and swirl to mix. The solution should turn green or blue. If the sample turns red, pink, or yellow, you are done, your TA is zero, and your PH is very very low (4.5 or lower).
Your pH is also certainly low. Might be a good time to add some baking soda using the PoolMath tool so that you increase the TA in 20 ppm increments. Let it mix for about 30 minutes and re-test. You could also use soda ash if that's all you had. Go in stages as to not create huge chemistry swings between the TA and pH. But they should both start to raise fairly soon.

Get the TA to at least 50 for now and see what the pH does as well. You can post back once you've had a chance to run those.

I don't see your CYA above? In addition, your FC is way too low (algae). I would increase the FC to about 4 immediately, then post your CYA so we can help you balance the FC to the CYA as seen on the FC/CYA Levels.

From Pool School:
The solution should turn green or blue. If the sample turns red, pink, or yellow, you are done, your TA is zero, and your PH is very very low (4.5 or lower).

You need to raise your pH NOW. Get Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Use PoolMath for amounts. Do in small batches and test after 30 minutes of adding.

Welcome to the forum!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Should I pour it directly into the skimmer?
As already noted above, you have a vinyl pool, get that PH up!
If your pump is working, you can run it on recirculate and add it in-front of the return, I like to pre-mix in 5gal bucket, but that's personal preference.
Make sure to PoolMath or the app to calculate how much you need, you want to aim for 7.2/7.4 for PH and 40 for TA so you don't overshoot

Is this a fresh fill or water that was in the pool?

That's a positive move. We don't need the TA any higher. PH can be raised by aeration without effecting the TA at all, or with some Borax which might raise the TA slightly. But not a big deal. You want the pH to at least 7.2 or so (orange). Mid-7s would be ideal. See if you can do that. In addition, you need to get that FC up to about 4-5 with some regular bleach to avoid algae. Good work so far!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No worries about the CH, TA or pH. I am concerted about the low FC and CYA though. It's important to raise those slightly to avoid algae. So using your FAS-DPD test materials (power & drops), increase the FC to about 5 and try not to let it drop below 3. You should also add a few more ppm of CYA (stabilizer). It should be a good 30, maybe even 40 with temps getting warmer. Always refer to the FC/CYA Levels to keep those two balanced. Hope that helps.

I added some chlorine and retested. Here are my results.
Cl = 1
FC = 2.5
CC = .5
TC = 3
CYA = less than 20
How do these numbers look?
  • The chlorine (Cl, FC) needs to be raised, every 15-30min until it starts holding
    1. Keep testing FC
    2. If less than 5
    3. Use PoolMath for how much to add until it holds FC/5
  • Use PoolMath to add CYA/10 (you can use CYA Now/0 Goal/10)
    • approx 1lb of stabilizer, put in a sock that hangs in front of return (not touching liner, it will stain)
    • You will have to wait 24hrs (what is your water temp?) before retesting CYA
    • Have you put stabilizer in? Or is it presumed to already be there?
So should I just buy some stabilizer at the pool store to increase it?
You can get stabilizer at pool store or Walmart (whatever place has the best price)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.