Brand New - just fired pool guy

Laurie012

Oct 6, 2020
Baton Rouge LA
Hi all,
I finally got rid of my pool service mostly bc of the bad attitude of the owner. I am ready to learn how to maintain my own pool. I had my local store test to make sure I am on track and have ordered a test kit based on the recommendations here. Store said ph is high and to add muriatic acid. Other levels ok.

Our pool is 14 gallons, with a SWG and cartridge filters. we are in Baton Rouge La. Looking forward to getting to know y’all.

Reactions: markayash
Welcome. Based on your location, you will probably have more important things to deal with tomorrow. Do you have any liquid chlorine you can add in case you lose power for a few days? The other numbers we can help you with after the storm, but low chlorine will lead to a green pool and much more difficult cleanup.

• Sad
Welcome. Based on your location, you will probably have more important things to deal with tomorrow. Do you have any liquid chlorine you can add in case you lose power for a few days? The other numbers we can help you with after the storm, but low chlorine will lead to a green pool and much more difficult cleanup.
When the weather channel has a guy in your town its usually not good :(
Hope everybody stays safe and dry there

All went well with Delta. Just got my test kit - it is a bit overwhelming. Taylor 2006 C Salt. Getting ready to test for the first time.

Just start with FC PH and TA and go from there :)

I am in North Atlanta and we got a TON of rain..My pool was a little low and was up to the stone coping so I think we got 4 or 5" or more in a short period.
Some area's had tornado's

I screwed up the TA and FC, tests so it's a good thing I had the pool store also run a test. I will do that again until I figure out the test kit. They got Ph 7.9 (me too), TA 105 ppm and FC 7.5 ppm. They recommended 1 qt. muriatic acid for the PH and also said the Calcium Hardness was low (150). They recommend 21 lbs Calcium Hardness Increaser. Does that sound right? They also said pools around her tend to run on the high side of PH? True?

TIA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did your testing with the Taylor test kit get a CH of 150?

1 qt of 31.45% muriatic acid will lower your pH by 0.6. That is more then necessary. I would do half of that and lower your pH by 0.3. When your pH gets to 8 lower it to 7.6.

21 lbs of calcium chloride will raise your CH by 175 ppm.

You should download PoolMath to be able to do these calculations using it.

Marty
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I feel like I am way off. Here are the results last week:
Ph FCTACH
mesame 9.5200300
Store7.5115250

Am I way off or do my results look good? Also, I am confused that I have test kit Taylor K-2006 Salt, but the kit doesn’t include a necessary part got the salt test (tube 9198).

TIA

Your results look great. What is your pH and CYA? I do not even look at pool store results.

I believe for that salt test you use a 25 ml vial and add 10 ml of water. Do you not have a vial like that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support