Brand new...help!

Stiil crystal clear...after continuing SLAM for days (with overcast skies this week thus far) and OCLT was 2.0 FC drop overnight to 18 and CC 0-0.5, brought back to 20 FC at 7AM. Just checked before leaving for office and FC 16 and CC 0-0.5...SLAM again with another 128oz. of 12.5% bleach...

Question is...just keep going? Or at some point, just resign myself to the fact that I am going to have to put 1-2 gallons of 12.5% bleach per day for rest of summer? Am concerned that once hot and sunny I will need even more! Am I missing something? Should I SLAM at a higher FC level to break this once and for all?

Help!?!

Stiil crystal clear...after continuing SLAM for days (with overcast skies this week thus far) and OCLT was 2.0 FC drop overnight to 18 and CC 0-0.5, brought back to 20 FC at 7AM. Just checked before leaving for office and FC 16 and CC 0-0.5...SLAM again with another 128oz. of 12.5% bleach...

Question is...just keep going? Or at some point, just resign myself to the fact that I am going to have to put 1-2 gallons of 12.5% bleach per day for rest of summer? Am concerned that once hot and sunny I will need even more! Am I missing something? Should I SLAM at a higher FC level to break this once and for all?

Help!?!

After OCLT...water still perfectly clear...FC 16 and CC 0-0.5...another gallon of 12.5% to get to FC of 20...can any of the TFP "experts" weigh in on what I should try next? My pump has been running continuously for a week now too!

- - - Updated - - -

Not just behind your light niches, around/under ladders or any other surface that algae could be hiding where you would not normally brush.

Thx...only places are light in pool deep end and light in spa...all else is seamless...appreciate it!

Your FC is 16 this morning. What was it last night when you started the OCLT? Was it 20? Did you test after adding the final dose as part of the OCLT or just assume it was 20?

That's a drop of 4 FC and is troubling, something is continuing to consume your chlorine.
Did you open your lights and inspect them? There have been some threads where there was some nasty stuff inside the lights.

You don't get a 4FC drop without something consuming your chlorine.

Help!?!
Hi Rick...the above quote is what I did last 2 days; last night at about 6PM, FC was 21 so was pretty happy as I had SLAMMED at about 12PM yesterday afternoon. I assumed 20+ for OCLT and woke up this AM at 16...just put in another gallon as per pool math... my CYA appears to be 40-50 consistently so using 50 as the CYA benchmark. Maybe I am off on CYA reading? Therefore my FC shock target of 20 is off? If you remember, earlier this week I put in one dose of bleach to shock to FC of 28 so even if off some that should have compensated for it?

How easy is it to remove lights? As simple as removing screws? Or do I need a professional to do it?

Thx!!!

Post a picture of your light if you can.

For info on how to post pictures, read here: Posing Photos Tutorial

Normally you need to remove just one screw (usually phillips head) from the light outer ring, usually located at 12 o'clock on the ring. Then the light tips outward from the wall and you can lift it out, provided enough cable was left in the niche to allow you to pull the whole assembly to the pool deck. Long arms while laying on the pool deck should do it, worst case you have to jump in and remove it.

Pulled light and letting hang out during SLAM process...also backwashed and replaced DE...let's see if anything changes soon...

Am also doing the bucket extreme chlorine demand test...am a little confused by the goal...I put in ounce every hour (3 times now) but nothing happens...am I supposed to increase by an ounce each hour until something sticks OR just keep repeating 1 oz per hour until something sticks? Confused...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It could... but that's alot of FC. Did you get in the niche with a brush and scrub the dickens out of it?

Yup!!

- - - Updated - - -

Was it full of algae? Did you check all the lights?
That's a lot of FC

Yes, lots of muck and gray slime...pulled pool and attached spa light...yes, bizarre! But perhaps explains why my FC hasn't held all week...fingers crossed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.