Brand new guy here! Need a shopping list - Pool Pic included

Thurston

Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2017
RI
Hi all! :wave:

Great forum!

I just had the pool company open my 40' x 20' inground SWG vinyl lined pool last weekend. The winter cover was full of about a foot of water and leaves that they dumped in the pool when they opened it. They shocked (SLAM'd?) the pool and now the water is cloudy, but blue will a ton of leaves now at the bottom. I've been running the pump constantly and keeping an eye on the skimmers and pump/filter pressure. I've found 2 dead birds, 3 dead mice and a dead chipmunk in the skimmer. All relatively fresh, have no idea what's going on there. This has all been a great introduction to my first pool ever...

On the bright side, I'm very handy and very interested in learning all I can in the interest of doing most of the maintenance myself. I've already learned a lot from reading the Pool School articles, plan to do a little research on all my equipment, clean out the leaves, fill the pool up to the top in preparation for a cleaning, report back here with test results for advice, and am excited to get the pool ready for the summer.

I want to get started this weekend, and before the local pool stores close for the long weekend hope to buy some essentials to keep me busy:

• Test Kit - Local pool store has a Taylor K-2005 in stock. Not as good as the 2006 with FAS/DPD but all I can get in time for the weekend. I'll order the FAS/DPD separately for later tests.
  • Salt - I know my salt levels are low, I think the pool guys said currently around 2000ppm.
  • Chlorine and other chemicals? - Pool guy shocked the pool, but should I assume I'll need to pick up chlorine/bleach? Any other chemicals?

Should I hold off on getting anything else until I test the water?

Here is my first pool! (Old photo from previous owner)
1128488_24_1485967324.jpg

You had me at 'Pic Included'. Love seeing everyone's pools...beautiful and blue or pre-TFP doesn't matter.

Your shopping list is good for now, test kit!

You may need CYA, you will definitely need bleach or liquid chlorine. Beyond that, the numbers will tell the story.

Your pool guys didn't SLAM, they shocked...you'll understand the difference soon enough. Keep reading and learning until you get those numbers.

Welcome to TFP!

You had me at 'Pic Included'. Love seeing everyone's pools...beautiful and blue or pre-TFP doesn't matter.

Your shopping list is good for now, test kit!

You may need CYA, you will definitely need bleach or liquid chlorine. Beyond that, the numbers will tell the story.

Your pool guys didn't SLAM, they shocked...you'll understand the difference soon enough. Keep reading and learning until you get those numbers.

Welcome to TFP!

Thanks for the welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.