Bought sightly smaller motor by mistake, still good?

aquaN00b

Gold Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
VA
I don’t know how I managed to do this, I think I did a Google search and clicked the lowest priced one and didn’t double check the model number only the 56J part. Anyway as you can see the old motor is 1 hp the new motor is 1 hp, but the new motor is total horsepower of 1.25 and the old motor is total horsepower of 1.65. The Frame is still the same at 56J. The pool is green because it took two weeks to get here And today’s the day I was going to install and get back on track. Now I’m wondering if I should exchange it for the same model or if I should just press on. Being an aqua noob, I don’t really know the consequences of pressing on. Any thoughts from the veterans?

Attachments

• 32EDA982-5059-4B22-ADCD-0D19F55A48D8.jpeg
    32EDA982-5059-4B22-ADCD-0D19F55A48D8.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 7
  • 8BDC190D-9E58-4BD2-8242-6E079912E5EF.jpeg
    8BDC190D-9E58-4BD2-8242-6E079912E5EF.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 8
The new motor will probably be overloaded by the current impeller. You could downsize the impeller to match the new THP.

OR you can throttle the pump to keep the current draw below the maximum.

The new motor will probably be overloaded by the current impeller. You could downsize the impeller to match the new THP.

OR you can throttle the pump to keep the current draw below the maximum.

I replaced the impeller in 2018 with a 1.5 THP one, so you're likely right. So you think downgrading that to a 1.0 THP impeller would do the trick? ThinkI could run the smaller motor for a few days until the smaller impeller arrives?

The new motor amp rating is higher than the old motor amp rating. So, the new motor should be fine. The total hp is often a made up number.

Check the amperage to make sure that it's not going above the rated amperage on the label.

I would downsize the impeller in any case.

What is the pump model number?

Your old motor was made in 2017. So, maybe it failed due to overload.

What's wrong with the old motor?

You should get more than 2 years out of the motor.

If the old motor was overloaded, the new one probably will be as well.

What impeller do you currently have?

Do you have a smaller impeller?

Last edited:
The new motor amp rating is higher than the old motor amp rating. So, the new motor should be fine. The total hp is often a made up number.

Check the amperage to make sure that it's not going above the rated amperage on the label.

I would downsize the impeller in any case.

What is the pump model number?

Your old motor was made in 2017. So, maybe it failed due to overload.

What's wrong with the old motor?

You should get more than 2 years out of the motor.

If the old motor was overloaded, the new one probably will be as well.

What impeller do you currently have?

Do you have a smaller impeller?

Hi James, thank for the assist. So my handle is Aqua N00b for a reason--this is my 3rd season owning a pool and i've....made mistakes lol.

I bought the house in May of 2018, so from what you said I guess the guy i bought from replaced the motor just prior to that.

In September 2018 I messed up after a big storm and a bunch of leaves and sticks went into the pump housing and stopped up the impeller, and eventually broke it---so I replaced the impeller along with new seals and rings, etc. The old impeller was stamped with part # SP2610-C. I watched YouTube and everything went well. I replaced it with this impeller: Amazon.com: Hayward SPX2610C Impeller Replacement for Hayward Pumps: Garden & Outdoor

2019 went well, no mistakes on my part.

This season, shortly after opening, the pump motor started making a really loud sound, almost like a grinding. I thought maybe the impeller was messed up again so I took the motor off and checked, nothing. Put everything back together and the loud sound was still there and was getting louder/worse. After looking at various things online I figured it was the bearings and ordered a new pump. I let it run while it was on order and it eventually seized. I took everything apart to today to replace it and noticed a ton of white stuff built up between the motor and the mounting plate. I assume it's either D.E. or corrosion--probably corrosion since I've read that's how bearings go bad. I've attached a picture of that.

So I'm wondering if I messed something up with the seals when I replaced that impeller, or if the previous owner didn't do something correctly since I now know he replaced it in 2017 (thank you for that info!). I don't know the exact pump model, but it looks exactly like a Hayward Super Pump SP1600/SP2600 on Inyo--plus that old impeller's model number above.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 5
The corrosion is from a seal leak.

You have a Superpump from the impeller part number.

The SP2610C is too big for the motor.

You need a SP2607C impeller.

Get a good seal that's rated for "Ozone/Salt".

The corrosion is from a seal leak.

You have a Superpump from the impeller part number.

The SP2610C is too big for the motor.

You need a SP2607C impeller.

Get a good seal that's rated for "Ozone/Salt".

Right. Thank you. So I'm at a decision, return the motor for the correct one, or buy a new impeller and keep this motor. Is there a clear "better" choice here? If I keep the motor, are there any concerns with it being 1.25 THP vs the 1.65 in terms of sizing for the pool? I presume not since these are both "1 HP" motors.

I would go with the SP2607C impeller unless you need a lot of flow for some reason.

The power usage will be significantly less.

You could even drop down to a SP2605C impeller if you want to use even less power assuming you don't need the flow.

I would go with the SP2607C impeller unless you need a lot of flow for some reason.

The power usage will be significantly less.

You could even drop down to a SP2605C impeller if you want to use even less power assuming you don't need the flow.

Thanks a lot man! Yeah I'm going the new impeller route because it'll be here in two days vs waiting a week or more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ugh. Now this is happening.

I ended up getting the new seals from the pool store as there was an issue with the seller on the ozone ones. Pool store didn't have the ozone ones. Anyway, think the seals are bad? The motor is mounted really tight on there and I replaced the housing gasket, it fit fine. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow to make sure I didn't get anything backwards. I swear I'm usually more mechanically inclined than this :rolleyes:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.