Bought a house with a pool, or bought a pool that has a house

Amswove42

Jun 2, 2020
Michigan
Hi, I'm Anne. We bought a house last fall with a pool. Previous owner used tabs and baking soda over 30 years. We had a horrible time last year balancing the chemicals, but closed the pool ourselves. Lost almost half the pool water by the time we opened it. Practically started fresh. Have been pretty well balanced since we opened, ourselves.

Welcome to the forum! We bought a pool with a house as well. It was much more economical to buy a house with a pool than to build a pool at the house we were in. The pool maintenance methods here are different than what the mainstream suggests, yet they are based on science and have enabled thousands of members to have a crystal clear pool using simple chemicals available at most hardware stores. Please read through the Pool School articles that will introduce you to our methods and ask any questions you may have.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Same here. Bought our house last year and it came with a pool. First time we have ever owned one. It is a learning curve and can be confusing at times, but once you get the hang of it and learn how your pool functions, it gets easier. This site has been a big help!

Reactions: Mdragger88
WE have had a pool for 25 years ( 2 different houses ) and once you learn they don't require as much work and some claim.

If you can get a SWG, it makes pool life so much easier. My issue was my tablet feeder would run out and by the time I caught it I had algae.

I had a pool built at a previous home and loved it. Would still be there if the neighborhood didn't slide downhill due to rentals not taken care of. The builder instructed me this on pool care: "always keep a couple of tabs in the skimmer and take a sample to the pool store occasionally". I used test sticks which were a guess at best. I shudder to think what the actual chemistry of that pool was. I am confident my current pool is in much better shape, thanks to TFP.

Reactions: markayash