Booster Pump Replacement Options

michaelrbanks

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
The booster pump for my Polaris started making a terrible noise a few weeks ago, then finally stopped working. I had some time this weekend to pull it apart and found the shaft was corroded and bearings shot. Long story short, I'm in need of a replacement. Are there any "non-standard" (and cheaper) options I should consider?

The original pump was a Pentair Boost-Rite 1.1 hp pump. I've found one online for $260, but I know sometimes the TFP team can get creative. :D

Hi!
I'm sorry I can't help you with the pump, but honestly, you would probably be better served by ditching the Polaris and it's required booster pump in favor of a robotic cleaner. Yes, it would initially be more up front cost, but it uses considerably less energy. From my understanding (I opted not to take the one my builder wanted to include, so no PERSONAL comparison), robots clean better. Maytronics/Dolphin make many types and are quite popular here. If you search the forum you can find several threads that will provide you with more information. I personally own a Doheny's Discovery made by Maytronics and love it! He's relatively lightweight, not huge and bulky, no long tail, no separate pump to maintain/replace, easy to clean out, has a program that I can set for daily automatic use and stores easily out of the way when we swim. Robots really are the newer technology and the direction the pool cleaning market is going. Kinda like landlines vs cell phones.

Blessings!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.