Booster Pump - Replace with Pentair or Another Brand?

tdub4

Sep 13, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Pentair booster pump LA01N 3/4 pump that isn’t turning on (makes a clicking noise like it’s on, then a humming, then nothing)…it is extremely hot to the touch and smells of burning. It’s only 2 3/4 years old but replaced another booster pump (same model) that lasted 13 years.

So, curious if the recommendation is stay with this model or replace. I have been quoted $1000 (and change) to replace with a Polaris, but thinking I may do this myself at that rate. I’m handy enough to get into trouble but think I should be able to do it. The company that quotes Polaris said it would be a much better quality and, if going up in power (.97 HP) would be helpful. I’m using a Polaris 280.

Any thoughts?

I recently replaced my Pentair booster with a Polaris. Never having replaced a pump myself, I had it professionally installed and I'm glad I did. Turned out the plumbing didn't match. It was certainly doable but more work than if I'd replaced it with the same pump.

Reactions: tdub4
I looked at the robots briefly, but not sure I want to commit to taking it in and out daily and I don’t have an outlet close to the pool. It would need to run under a safety gate up to our covered porch and that isn’t the shortest distance. So having that cord there for long periods of time is also no too exciting. Finally, I dont think we will be here much longer and not sure if we will have a pool at the next house, so the payback on the investment is questionable as well.

I looked at the robots briefly, but not sure I want to commit to taking it in and out daily
Depends how much debris you get. I operate 24/7, so most of my debris is caught in my skimmers. I run my robot around once a week. I don't like the look of a cleaner in the pool all the time.

I don’t have an outlet close to the pool.
Outdoor extension cord would work.

Finally, I dont think we will be here much longer and not sure if we will have a pool at the next house, so the payback on the investment is questionable as well.
Makes sense. However, replacing the booster pump would probably cost more than a robot.

I have a Pentair booster pump LA01N 3/4 pump that isn’t turning on (makes a clicking noise like it’s on, then a humming, then nothing)…it is extremely hot to the touch and smells of burning. It’s only 2 3/4 years old but replaced another booster pump (same model) that lasted 13 years.

So, curious if the recommendation is stay with this model or replace. I have been quoted $1000 (and change) to replace with a Polaris, but thinking I may do this myself at that rate. I’m handy enough to get into trouble but think I should be able to do it. The company that quotes Polaris said it would be a much better quality and, if going up in power (.97 HP) would be helpful. I’m using a Polaris 280.

Any thoughts?

I’ve used the Hayward 6060 booster pump for many years with our Polaris 280 cleaner. It is pretty quiet and works perfectly with the 280.

It wasn’t difficult to install myself.

Any thoughts?
Polaris PB4-60. A workhorse, though nothing is as good as it was 15 years ago.

Reactions: dfwnoob and tdub4
Stopped by the local pool store (wasnt sure if I am allowed to use names or prices), but they have a sale for the PB4SQ (in stock, in store) that is just under five hundred. Interestingly, their website does not list that as an option and only show the PB4-S60. I had seen some posts of previous problems with the case of the SQ cracking but understand that may have been addressed with the latest models. Any thoughts on one over the other?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ended up picking up the PB4SQ from pool store and with coupon came in at four hundred. So, next question...I was ready to go with a self install but now seeing Polaris wont warranty the pump if an authorized installer does not do the work. I HATE paying for something I can do myself, but not sure it is worth foregoing the warranty. Anyone experience the Polaris warranty department and if this is worth paying half the price (or more) of the pump to install it??

Last edited:
Ended up picking up the PB4SQ from pool store and with coupon came in at four hundred. So, next question...I was ready to go with a self install but now seeing Polaris wont warranty the pump if an authorized installer does not do the work. I HATE paying for something I can do myself, but not sure it is worth foregoing the warranty. Anyone experience the Polaris warranty department and if this is worth paying half the price (or more) of the pump to install it??
It is a risk versus reward calculus.

Do you think you have a 50% probability of having a warranty claim?

If you believed 50% of all those pumps fail I would ask you why you are buying that low quality product?

As the saying goes, "Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances."
The probability of a newer Polaris PB4SQ going bad in within the warranty period is very small if it is the one with the reinforced body.
Even if it isn't, Polaris (Fluidra/Jandy) has been know to send the retail customer a replacement body if the old one went bad.

As the saying goes, "Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances."
The probability of a newer Polaris PB4SQ going bad in within the warranty period is very small if it is the one with the reinforced body.
Even if it isn't, Polaris (Fluidra/Jandy) has been know to send the retail customer a replacement body if the old one went bad.
It is the new body

Who doesn't love a happy ending?!

They Lived Happily Ever After The End GIF - They Lived Happily Ever After  The End Goofy - Discover & Share GIFs