Booster pump leaking

shulk

Nov 5, 2015
Spring/Texas
B719816A-7407-44E9-AEFB-C80AB6053631.jpeg
Booster pump is leaking in the highlighted area. It looks like it should be an easy fix. I would call someone but this month we had run into several unexpected situations and my bank account is dry.

I kind of handy with tools I just need to know what the approach to fix this would be.

There's more than one way to re-do this plumbing. Unfortunately you will have to cut that vertical pipe to unscrew it from the pump. Assuming the female threads in that pump outlet are not compromised, a new male adapter and some new PVC fittings up to that elbow is one way. Another would be installing a union somewhere up that vertical pipe so you can disconnect things later without having to cut the PVC. You might post another pic or two further back so everyone can see more of the PVC line that comes out of the pump.

Thanks, I was thinking something similar (replacing the fitting up to the elbow) the problem is that I tried but it won't budge at all. Is that fitting supposed to unscrew from the outlet?

Here is the other picture with a complete view of the fittings...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.56.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.56.44 AM.png
    886.4 KB · Views: 21
The fitting coming out of the pump is likely glued into the bushing in the 90. Even if it’s threaded, it would tighten as you unscrew it from the housing of the pump so it won’t come out. You’ll need to cut out behind the 90 and replumb back to the pump. I’d definitely suggest going back into the pump with a union if you can find one that fits to make future repair/replacement of the pump easier.

Is that fitting supposed to unscrew from the outlet?
Unfortunately no. Many installers do something like that at the pump or filter, then later you are hosed and have to cut the line to unscrew something. :brickwall: Hence .... the union later. :)

Yes, it'd be a threaded port in the pump. From the looks of the other connection to the pump, some sort of compound was used. You might try some heat to see if that loosens things up. Start with a hair dryer before you go full blow torch. Be patient: heat a little, torque a little, repeat, repeat. You don't want to fry the pump or its threads.

It's possible the vibration or movement of the pump compromised that connection. Is the pump bolted down? Often you see flexible PVC between a booster pump and the pool plumbing. That would help prevent this from happening again.
Guide Step Image

Last edited:
Reactions: shulk
Ok I think I'm with you @Lake Placid but just to be 100% clear cut at the red line or at the blue? I'm not professional (obviously lol) so behind the 90 to me is the red line...

View attachment 441836
You’d cut at the blue and build back from there. Edited to add, it will thread out of the pump once you’ve cut loose.

Unfortunately no. Many installers do something like that at the pump or filter, then later you are hosed and have to cut the line to unscrew something. :brickwall: Hence .... the union later. :)
Pat, he might be asking if the PVC is supposed to unscrew out of the pump. In other words, are the pump's ports threaded?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah it's not bolted down so you're probably right the vibration caused this...
Yah, that's a lot of stress on that joint. Not just the vibration, but that connection is probably holding the pump in place, like keeping it from sliding around. Job one is to attach it to the pad. It'll have mounting holes for that purpose. Is it sitting on concrete? You'll need a masonry drill bit and some sort of masonry fasteners. There are lots of varieties of those. Pick out the fasteners first, and their packaging should spec the proper size of the drill hole.

Yep lots of stress at that point. As soon as I cut and tried to unscrew the joint it came down clean as if it was cut... Removing that it's going to be fun without messing up the threads.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.51.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.51.33 PM.png
    592.6 KB · Views: 7
Yep lots of stress at that point. As soon as I cut and tried to unscrew the joint it came down clean as if it was cut... Removing that it's going to be fun without messing up the threads.
Pipe nipple extractor set will aid in removal if you want to spend the $15 on it. Might find cheaper at harbor freight, although you’ll need to buy the tool to fix that tool at the same time. 😂

You could also gently score whats left of the pipe repeatedly creating a small pie shape that you gently break out of what’s left. Then remove the remaining pieces. GENTLY is the key here and making sure you go slow to not mess up the threads.

Reactions: Dirk
Yah, I had that exact thing happen to me. I was away from my shop, and desperate, and hammered my chisel right into the PVC stub. I then used a crescent wrench on the chisel and somehow it turned the stub right out of the threads! But I like @Lake Placid's suggestions much better! Hammering into that pump casting would be an excellent way to split that into pieces.

PS. Do look into the flex hose. There are kits you can buy that include the hose and the fittings. A local pool store might have one, if you have to get this back together today. And I know you've already entertained the idea: now's the time to address the other connection, too. My favorite axiom: "Do it right, do it once."

PS. Do look into the flex hose. There are kits you can buy that include the hose and the fittings. A local pool store might have one, if you have to get this back together today. And I know you've already entertained the idea: now's the time to address the other connection, too. My favorite axiom: "Do it right, do it once."
After reading @Dirk post, I looked back at the pic. Is that galvanized pipe? Ugggh, you know there’s another can of worms in that connection if you breathe on it wrong. Whoever did that work brings emotions….well let’s just say the adjectives “throttling“ and “inch of their life“ comes to mind. 🤦‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: shulk and Dirk
After reading @Dirk post, I looked back at the pic. Is that galvanized pipe? Ugggh, you know there’s another can of worms in that connection if you breathe on it wrong. Whoever did that work brings emotions….well let’s just say the adjectives “throttling“ and “inch of their life“ comes to mind. 🤦‍♂️
Exactly my thoughts! :LOL: It's possible just the wiggling of fixing the top connection is going to mess up the other one. Of course, Murphy's Law dictates it won't give way until you have the other one all put back together, and it's a weekday morning.

Exactly my thoughts! :LOL: It's possible just the wiggling of fixing the top connection is going to mess up the other one. Of course, Murphy's Law dictates it won't give way until you have the other one all put back together, and it's a weekday morning.
Oh so you too have achieved Doctoral Degree status in the law of the Irishman. Good day fellow Dr! 😁

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.