Booster pump capacitor

Check the voltage going to the motor and make sure that it matches the wiring diagram.

Why did you replace the original capacitor? What were the symptoms?

Do you have a picture of the pump, pump wiring diagram and the wiring where the power is connected?

I replaced the original capacitor for the same reasons, pump would not stay engaged for more than 10 or 15 seconds after starting it up.

I am leaving for about a week and won't return until sometime Thursday morning when I will try to pictures of everything you asked.

Thanks for your help.

After rereading the entire thread, I think that the problem is a stuck centrifugal switch.

The centrifugal switch is supposed to take the capacitor and start winding out of the circuit as soon as the motor rpm gets close to full speed.

This should happen in about 2 to 3 seconds. The fact that the capacitor is failing after 3 seconds indicates that it is still in the circuit when it should not be.

A start capacitor cannot take continuous voltage for more than a few seconds. The continuous voltage is causing the capacitor to fail.

The start switch on that pump is difficult to fix. I would recommend that you run the pump to a local electric motor repair shop so that they can replace the switch and capacitor.

Email them first to inquire about the cost and timeframe. Include a picture of the motor label and a description of what you want done.

If the cost is too high, you might want to replace the motor or try to fix it yourself if you feel comfortable doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exlonghorn
After rereading the entire thread, I think that the problem is a stuck centrifugal switch.

The centrifugal switch is supposed to take the capacitor and start winding out of the circuit as soon as the motor rpm gets close to full speed.

This should happen in about 2 to 3 seconds. The fact that the capacitor is failing after 3 seconds indicates that it is still in the circuit when it should not be.

A start capacitor cannot take continuous voltage for more than a few seconds. The continuous voltage is causing the capacitor to fail.

The start switch on that pump is difficult to fix. I would recommend that you run the pump to a local electric motor repair shop so that they can replace the switch and capacitor.

Email them first to inquire about the cost and timeframe. Include a picture of the motor label and a description of what you want done.

If the cost is too high, you might want to replace the motor or try to fix it yourself if you feel comfortable doing that.
When I get back next Friday, I will try that......I don't know much about electric, but your explanation seems logical.

Thanks again...

Note that a new motor for the PB4-60 costs about $150 and a complete new pump $260. It doesn’t pay to spend much at a motor shop trying to fix the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.