Bonding question

JLay

Apr 5, 2020
Florida
We have a storable pool that stays up years round since we’re in Florida. We have a sand filter and pump. The pump is on its last leg so I ordered a new one. When it came in, I had forgot to read all the requirements, and it calls to be bounded. We’re wondering if we should just return it. We’ve been running our pump with no bonding. Is there more risk with this 1 HP AG pool pump than the one that came with our intex pool?

Bonding is a concern with inground pools, and equipment such as heaters should be bonded with the pumps on any pool. I don't recall ever seeing bonding on an above ground pool. I am not sure what you mean by "storable", but I am pretty sure you are good.

Storable pools are in a different section of the NEC and as a rule don't require bonding, however, some municipalities include storable pools in the bonding requirement. It's best to check the local codes if you live where any are enforced.

Typically Intex pumps are double insulated and that's another reason they don't have to be bonded.

Bonding is a concern with inground pools, and equipment such as heaters should be bonded with the pumps on any pool. I don't recall ever seeing bonding on an above ground pool. I am not sure what you mean by "storable", but I am pretty sure you are good.
Intex, easy to set up and take down kind of pool. The manufacturer does not recommend bonding but does recommend unplugging the pump with swimmers in, we don’t do that though. So with the new pump the manufacturer does recommend bonding. I’m just wondering how different this pump can be from the one that came with the pool.

Storable pools are in a different section of the NEC and as a rule don't require bonding, however, some municipalities include storable pools in the bonding requirement. It's best to check the local codes if you live where any are enforced.

Typically Intex pumps are double insulated and that's another reason they don't have to be bonded.
Ok. I’m not concerned about codes. I’m more concerned about the safety of swimmers.

Bonding has nothing to do with swimmers. Bonding keeps all equipment, pool structure, and water at the same electrical potential as the earth around it. Gfci protection is what you will want to protect swimmers in the event of something shorting to water. I assume it is plug-in? Is it plugged in to a gfci?

Bonding has nothing to do with swimmers. Bonding keeps all equipment, pool structure, and water at the same electrical potential as the earth around it. Gfci protection is what you will want to protect swimmers in the event of something shorting to water. I assume it is plug-in? Is it plugged in to a gfci?
Yes it is plugged in to gfci. I read that bonding was to prevent electrical shock.

Grounding is to prevent shock, in the sense that it provides an alternate route to ground for faulty equipment and devices. It still will not necessarily prevent shock, or no one would ever get shocked. GFCI, groung fault circuit interrupter, prevents electrocution. Bonds are also grounded, but cannot act as your circuit ground by code.
As it was explained to me, if the ground potential of the pool, and therefore water, is different from the ground potential of the equipment you get minute current flow where they meet, in the heater usually, but sometimes other equipment as well. This current flow damages the equipment over time, usually in the deterioration of the heat exchanger. The bond provides a path of less resistance for that current, so protects the equipment. This was explained to me by a heater manufacturers technical trainer at a certification seminar. That's the class you have to spend several days in to become an "authorized (brand name here) service center". Usually boring basics for the newbies in the room, but you do pick up a few gems every now and then.

Reactions: JLay
There are multiple ways you can get an electrical shock.

Grounding protects some ways.

GFCI provides other protections.

And bonding protects from other electrical faults around the water.

You need them all.

Reactions: JLay

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.