Bnewman78

May 18, 2019
KY
I have a fairly new pool, this will be our 3rd year with it. I am trying to add a Hayward Aqua-trol and I am stumped at this bonding loop. From what I can tell we should already have one for our pool to pump? However, we do not and that is how the professional installed it. So my question is do we need one now? Does just adding the SWG change this or should there have been one all along? And if anyone has pictures of what this looks like done please can you post them? Thank you!!

Look for a bare copper wire that is connected to a lug on the outside of each electrical component

Is your pool a steel above ground pool or something like an intex pool? If steel the installer should have installed that. It may help to taker a picture of your pump, there should be a bonding screw on the body somewhere for the wire to connect to. Bonding is separate from the actual electrical so how your pump is wired for power does not affect the bonding. There should also be a spot on the pipe from the skimmer that also has that copper wire on it. It seems not all installers do this right. The pool I got I tore down from someone else who had it professionally installed and they did not have any bonding hookups either.

The pump may look something like this:

I do have a composite pool but with a stainless steel panel where the skimmer is. It seems my installer skipped this step. I did find where on the pump it should go thanks to your picture. But I don’t see anywhere on the skimmer it should go. Could it be somewhere else on the pool? Thanks for all your help!!

The skimmer part requires extra hardware. The reason I asked about it being steel or intex, is an intex pool could be considered non-permanent so would not be subject to that part of the NEC code. Even composites do have to be bonded I think just in fewer spots. This is the bonder I used by my skimmer, but there are other variations.

I don't know what type of warranty installers typically come with but if possible I would bring this to their attention and see if they will fix it themselves since it should have been done in the first place.

Unless KY was an amended code that doesn't require it. Also if you pool is below 48" in depth that also makes it non-permanent I believe. I am still a bit fresh on everything though so I may be getting some exemptions wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.