Bond beam repair

I have a new favorite tile!!!! LOVE it!!!

What color grout are you using with the waterline tile?? I hope NOT white as you want the tiles to flow together and white will make each one stand out.....medium gray would work much better for this one.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Davileet
I have a new favorite tile!!!! LOVE it!!!

What color grout are you using with the waterline tile?? I hope NOT white as you want the tiles to flow together and white will make each one stand out.....medium gray would work much better for this one.

Kim:kim:

Oof about the tile grout. Lol.

Got the coping grout done, it should whiten up a bit over the next couple days as it dries out. And I got about 1/3 of the tile grouted today. Hoping to finish tile grout and caulking behind the coping stones tomorrow. Then its time for plaster crew!!!

IMG-1706.jpgIMG-1705.jpgIMG-1704.jpgIMG-1710.jpgIMG-1709.jpgIMG-1708.jpgIMG-1707.jpg

Quick question. The tile I installed sticks out past the old plaster by about the thickness of the tile and thin set. Should the plaster guys need to still cut and chip out below the tile or just plaster to the tile at the thickness of the tile?

It's always best practice to do full chip out. Adhering to the old is just that....you are counting on the old plaster to be bonded to the shell. If it fails the plaster fails. Not worth it in my opinion the extra cost is cheap insurance on a long life of new plaster. They will feather the plaster in a little thicker as they get to top of wall

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's always best practice to do full chip out. Adhering to the old is just that....you are counting on the old plaster to be bonded to the shell. If it fails the plaster fails. Not worth it in my opinion the extra cost is cheap insurance on a long life of new plaster. They will feather the plaster in a little thicker as they get to top of wall

It seems that full chip out isn't the norm where I am. I would imagine its through the roof expensive. My pool does already seem to have two layers of plaster on the shell.

On a side note, I have taken a chain and drug it over the entire pool, and have found zero hollow sounding spots.

It seems that full chip out isn't the norm where I am. I would imagine its through the roof expensive. My pool does already seem to have two layers of plaster on the shell.

On a side note, I have taken a chain and drug it over the entire pool, and have found zero hollow sounding spots.

Was told a bit ago that they only need to pressure wash the old plaster and not acid wash since the concrete is pretty clean without algae and such before draining. This sounds like hog wash to me. What are your thoughts?

Yeah. I am not appreciating these shortcuts they are attempting to make with me. Very close to saying they are fired. I guess since I am younger they think they can fool me, not sure what the issue is aside from being lazy.

They have chipped the plaster out around the fittings, and pressure washed the pool. That is all they have done. I told them they are acid washing the pool, so the pool boy left to buy acid since they didn't feel they should bring it to do the job. PB tried saying that since it wasn't drained late summer its good to go.

Every quote I got said to etch the surface and then Bond Kote, even theirs.

I have gone too far and done too much work to allow some shady company take shortcuts.

Reactions: kimkats
I was quoted $9000 to do a full chip out. That’s a price where they just don’t want to do the work.

It seems to be a regional thing. Out West they chip out without even being asked. In the East they don't want to do it at any reaonable price. May be the difference in availability of inexpensive labor. Chip out is very labor intensive.

Last edited:
It seems to be a regional thing. Out West they chip out without even being asked. In the East they don't want to do it at any reaonable price. May be the differeence in availability of inexpensive labor. Chip out is very labor intensive.

Yes, I think that is the problem exactly. Everyone in northern VA wants to make a lot of money. The sad thing is, the guys actually doing the work are not getting what is being charged. I also think states like CA, and FL can do it cheaper because of the competition in the area.

It needs an acid wash then cleanup and a bond kote at the minimum. I would get 2 day laborers and some harbor freight air chisels and do it myself before I paid 9k. Remember leaving the old plaster is what ur bonding new to so that's a chance your gonna have to take if you go that route. Have you tried dealing with a plaster crew directly?

Yeah, I was not about to have it done at $9k. I wouldn't know where to find two guys to do labor with me, but that probably would have been for the best.

There is two layers of plaster on the pool, and I agree there is a risk involved with keeping it in there. One thing I can say is that I personally drug a chain around the entire pool and didn't find any hollow sounds.

There is a plaster contractor that is direct, but their pricing is the same. That company said they didn't think a chip out was necessary either. Neither company thinks chipping under the tile line is a safe bet in case of damage. Had I known that all these quotes where they said they were going chip under tile was a lie, I would have prepped the pool myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.