Bolts won’t come off of diving board help me please.

Jun 3, 2019
Daphne Alabama
What started as a quick bolt replacement quickly turned into hours of slamming a hammer at things and now I’m desperate...The bolts in my diving board seem to be rusted into the board it’s self and no amount of force can make the things come out. While researching I couldn’t find any board with bolts/ a bracket like mine and I’m starting to become desperate. What I’ve tried so far is brute hammer force to the bottom of the bolt. Drilling a hole in the top of one of them. (Made little progerss after 30 minutes). And prying up the metal support beam but I stopped after realizing that can do more damage and I should seek help first. I have pictures of every thing but the site says it can’t process them so if you have a way for me to upload those that would be appreciated.104644

Attachments

• D6647F18-CA1B-4757-87B7-0B98D493807F.jpeg
    D6647F18-CA1B-4757-87B7-0B98D493807F.jpeg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
If you cut the top of the bolts off, you might be able to tap them through from the top with a hammer and a punch.

I would use a grinder or circular saw with a metal cutting blade to cut straight down into the top of the head until only the center of the bolt was left.

Then, punch the remaining bolt through from the top.

How old is this board? An older board can get brittle and break under load - possibly injuring a user. If it's an older board, just consider replacing it or doing away with it altogether.

Center punch the top side of the carriage bolt - right in the middle. Then bore through it with a drill from the top side. The drill size should match your bolt size. If you are not handy, you will not be able to do this and a welding shop or mechanic shop might be a able to help you. As others have said, why not get a new board. The UV may have degraded the board until it's not safe. If you replace bolts, use good a good grade of stainless steel as your replacement. Screwing a stainless nut onto a stainless bolt can cause "gallling". This may make the nut "freeze" to the bolt. Prevent this by using anti seize (at auto parts store) on your stainless steel bolts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.