Board Repair

This question specifically is about a pentair VSP that shows evidence of leaking per paint peeling but seems to function and sound good. The question is simply: "new pump vs putting in new seals?" It doesnt look hard to do and the pumps I am considering are well over a couple of thousand each so I am doubling checking on this question. Is repairing a 4 year old pump like doing a heart transplant in a 90 year old patient? How do I access the viability and longevity of my current pumps?
Have you verified there is actually a leak in the seal? You should see water dripping down between the motor and seal plate while the motor is running. I have seen several cases of corrosion issues on Intelliflos that do not appear to be caused by bad seals so I just wanted to make sure that was the issue.

How long has the motor looked that way? Once a seal starts to leak, it can drastically shorten the life of the motor bearings so those may be soon to fail but can also be replaced albeit more difficult.

I have a spa pump over 18 years old and still running strong. My VS pump I picked up used in 2017 and it still looks like new without any issues. So pumps can last a good long time if you address any issues quickly.

This question specifically is about a pentair VSP that shows evidence of leaking per paint peeling but seems to function and sound good. The question is simply: "new pump vs putting in new seals?" It doesnt look hard to do and the pumps I am considering are well over a couple of thousand each so I am doubling checking on this question. Is repairing a 4 year old pump like doing a heart transplant in a 90 year old patient? How do I access the viability and longevity of my current pumps?

You pay your money and take your chances.

It is hard to assess how much corrosion a leak has caused internal in the motor. And it is difficult disassembling a VS motor to have a good look at its condition. A leak can also damage bearings which then take a while to wear and show its problem.

Have you verified there is actually a leak in the seal? You should see water dripping down between the motor and seal plate while the motor is running. I have seen several cases of corrosion issues on Intelliflos that do not appear to be caused by bad seals so I just wanted to make sure that was the issue.

How long has the motor looked that way? Once a seal starts to leak, it can drastically shorten the life of the motor bearings so those may be soon to fail but can also be replaced albeit more difficult.

I have a spa pump over 18 years old and still running strong. My VS pump I picked up used in 2017 and it still looks like new without any issues. So pumps can last a good long time if you address any issues quickly.
No I did not verify! This was pointed out to me. I will verify. I do not know how long. The motor always had an external cover on it and I was not doing pool myself.

You pay your money and take your chances.

It is hard to assess how much corrosion a leak has caused internal in the motor. And it is difficult disassembling a VS motor to have a good look at its condition. A leak can also damage bearings which then take a while to wear and show its problem.
So I guess I need to verify if is leaking. I watched a video on changing gaskets etc. I think I could do it but I am not positive.

Here is an update on everything. I want to start of by again saying thank you to everyone of my new educators.
I feel I have learned a lot and have a lot more to learn.
I have done a lot of research also.
Probably within 6 months I will do a complete overhaul.
I am leaning toward Pentair automation and will be abandoning my Hayward control board and SWG and probably the pumps.
For now I decided just to get the pool functional so my back yard does not become a swamp.
I put in a new GLX-PCB-Main.
I was able to program its time, it was defaulted on the T-15.
The salt cell seems to be working and reads 3000
If I push the buttons on the PS8 I can turn on
a) main pump
b) lights
c) feature pump
d) blower

The Main pump does not appear to be leaking
The picture I took before was of the water feature pump (which I do not know yet if leaking)
A thick green wire runs to feature pump but has been cut on the Main pump (guessing this is load wire)

I have no idea how to program actuators.
Right now I have the pool with open skimmers, Main drain, and return
I am not sure how the spa is set up but I think its on the Main pump and not the feature pump

I have not programmed the PS8 and I am not sure of the steps.
This is wear I can use some help.
I will figure out also how to attach the load again and take a closer look at feature pump
thank you
bill

Here are how my pipes run.
There are 3 actuators seen best in picture 4.
The Feature pump seen in picture 3 has a valve but no actuator. I turn on my fountains by my controller.
I am guessing one of the actuators makes the return just go to the spa when I use the spa
The others go to the Main and Return
I have set them manually. I am guessing that the only time it matters is when I am using the spa?
Don't have a clue !!!

Attachments

• IMG_6137.jpg
    IMG_6137.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6138.jpg
    IMG_6138.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6139.jpg
    IMG_6139.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6140.jpg
    IMG_6140.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6141.jpg
    IMG_6141.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I tried to configure my panel.
Before I tried I was able to manually put on main filter by pushing pool and pushing filter. Now main pump does not turn on. Did I do something wrong? PS somehow the pump itself got put into the off position. I turned it on by pushing on speed 3. Thats it for today.

Last edited:
So I tried to configure my panel.
Before I tried I was able to manually put on main filter by pushing pool and pushing filter. Now main pump does not turn on. Did I do something wrong?

Probably.

Did you download the Aqualogic manual from - https://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/aqualogicp4-install.pdf

Starting at Page 18 what did you set for the Configuration?

You don't program the actuators. You just plug them into the correct sockets.

1703219731347.png

and then on Page 20 it shows how you set Pool and Spa and enable the SPA Spillover.

1703219808212.png

Probably.

Did you download the Aqualogic manual from - https://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/aqualogicp4-install.pdf

Starting at Page 18 what did you set for the Configuration?

You don't program the actuators. You just plug them into the correct sockets.

View attachment 545527

and then on Page 20 it shows how you set Pool and Spa and enable the SPA Spillover.

View attachment 545528
Thanks I did something wrong and the pump went into a standby mode and I did override by pushing on speed 3. I am sure I plugged the proper sockets. My weakness is that I really don't know how a pool works. I totally get it sucks water in from skimmers and main drain and returns it....but thats it. I don't understand how a spa works but I would guess sucks water from pool and returns to spa. I do not know how to configure it so the actuators are in right position when I push pool and in right position when I push spa. Knowing this would be a big lead for me. Tomorrow afternoon I am off from work and I will start to read the manual you linked me to. Thanks

I totally get it sucks water in from skimmers and main drain and returns it....but thats it.

That is correct.

I don't understand how a spa works but I would guess sucks water from pool and returns to spa.

In SPA mode water is sucked from the SPA (not pool) and returns to SPA.

In SPILLOVER mode water is sucked from the POOL and returns to the SPA.

I do not know how to configure it so the actuators are in right position when I push pool and in right position when I push spa. Knowing this would be a big lead for me.

Post pics of your actuators such that all the writing on the pipes is readable.

Each actuator sits on a 3-way valve.

The suction valve has pipes to the pump and to the pool and spa drains.

The return valve has pipes from the filter/heater/SWG and out to the pool and spa.

Identify each valve, the pipes, and their function.

The green circled valve is your intake/suction.

The red circled valve is your returns.

Whatever pipe is opposite the handle is shut off.

I can read RETURN on the pipe but is more written on it saying if it is POOL or SPA? And do the two pipes on the other side of the return valve have any writing on them?

Similarly what is all the writing on the pipes connected to the green suction valve?

IMG_1114.jpeg

This appears to have been cut by someone and there is a loose green wire next to pump. How do I attach?
Post a picture of the wire. Bonding wire does not generally have insulation. It is usually a bare copper wire that comes out of the ground or the pad concrete and bonds to all electrical equipment. Read this:

Does the other pump have a bonding wire attached?

If the pumps are not leaking, the corrosion could possibly be due to a lack of bonding.

Please bear with me. I am going to look at all the plumbing again
Almost all the pipes had labels that washed off and the red marking are mine from a week ago.
They might be wrong I will check

Just from knowing the way plumbing is typically setup this is my guess at what your lines do.

You need to manually change each valve closing each pipe, one at a time, and observe how the suction or return flow changes in the pool or spa.

The yellow valve can go to a cleaner or water feature line in the pool. And I mislabeled it as a vacuum line which it is not on the pressure return side. More likley a water feature if you have one.

Wil1.jpg

Wil2.jpg

Just from knowing the way plumbing is typically setup this is my guess at what your lines do.

You need to manually change each valve closing each pipe, one at a time, and observe how the suction or return flow changes in the pool or spa.

The yellow valve can go to a cleaner or water feature line in the pool. And I mislabeled it as a vacuum line which it is not on the pressure return side. More likley a water feature if you have one.

View attachment 545582

View attachment 545583
This is confirmed. Thanks The Red is spa and the blue is pool. In terms of suction lines: I have two skimmers, Two drains in deep end, and two drains in spa. I have 4 suction lines. I am guessing the 2 drains in pool are connected and two drains in spa are connected and act as 1 each. Is there a way to tell spa suction line from pool drain line ?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.