Haha! Looks good. Keep the chainsaw handy. Some people's love side of the love/hate relationship with trees does win out. Not many, but some.

+1... :)

You can see and enjoy a 40' tree from 150' away. The only tree that should be used as shade for a pool is one that has been through the mill... I would definitely plan on some type of shade structure even if you do not do it right away. Perhaps you can have a overhang off the new garagemahal with a outside shower and inside bathroom..

+1 on what Maddie said. Unless you really want to be able to walk 360 degrees around your pool, you could pull the wall up to the edge of the pool (and maybe add a water feature), then use that decking sqft to enlarge the seating areas.

We're getting what we asked for actually. We wanted decking all the way around and we have room for 2 sets of table and chairs on the deck. We're also going to extend our patio quite a bit, so we should have plenty of areas to hang out when we have gatherings.

The side of my future garage facing the pool is going to be a tiki bar with a faux thatch roof that I can extend as far out as I want so there will be even more room eventually.

I have bids for the equipment and plumbing.

Equipment came in at about 7.5k, but it's missing a light and has ozone and UV systems that I don't want. (I didn't think lights would cost so much.) I don't have a spa and the only "fancy" stuff is 2 lights and 2 bubblers on the baja shelf. 700 for the controller and 400+ for the wireless interface, being the nerd that I am, I think I could build my own controller for a lot less than 1.1K.

Plumbing will be 3.7K after I delete the ozone and UV.

Not sure I'm saving anything so far ...

With a PB they buy the equipment in bulk so may get it for cheaper than a person that buys it on their own.

The trades might be a little cheaper but will be harder to get to work for you. They will put you behind the "everyday payday" .

Where you may save money is not having to pay for the PB's cut. They have to upcharge to make their paycheck so.....

Kim:kim:

I guess I got sticker shock when it came to actually start writing checks (or almost time), even though I knew I was going to spend a lot going into this.

I'm probably not actually going to save a penny, but will hopefully get more for the same money and get exactly what we want.

You'll probanly end up spending whatever your max was regardless. But if you DIY you will get more for that same amount.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got a bid for the excavation, forming, and steel, also includes the retaining wall: ~ 12.5K. For some reason I'm at ease with that price. It also includes rock excavation, which I know there will be.

Running total is about 23K and change.

So I got the gunite bid last night. 15.5K or $213 per yard. This seemed too high to me and ended up in a call from my BYOP guy. My price is inflated by $3 over what the big guys pay. Doesn't seem right to me, so I'm going to get some other bids.

We're also going to raise the pool and slope the yard instead of having a retaining wall, which will knock at least 5K out of the total price. I'm not really on a budget, but I'm watching every dollar and I want function out of my spend.

Your gunite price doesn't seem that out of line. The big guys get a bit of a discount as they are returning customers. Up here in the Metroplex, my average gunite quote was $205/cy + $16/sf for any pegboard used + $100-400 for spa labor. Good thing is that they only charge for what they use, bad thing is I went about 10cy yards over my estimate but I was anticipating some of it as I had some wall cave-ins and added a large bench.

Try to get 3 quotes on every trade and you will realize a savings. Disclaimer, I self-performed A LOT of my owner work (excavation, plumbing, rebar, decking) and I am projecting a 50% savings over PB quotes and I sprung for many upgrades. YMMV but I would think you should be in the 10-20% savings neighborhood.

Reactions: kimkats and foo.c

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.