Blowing lines out

This is my first time closing the pool (pool is 2 years old). I plan on bring the water below the returns. I'm pretty sure the floor drain is a hydro static valve, but i'll double check with the builder.

Can someone help me with instructions on how to blow out the lines, which ones, the direction. Can I use a shop vac and air compressor?

2 returns (one each side of of the pool) 1 skimmer with 2 lines. Equipment pad is about 12 feet from the pool.

20171011_210328_resized.jpg20171011_210349_resized.jpg20171011_210246_resized.jpg

Aftonjeeper:

Thanks for the link. A lot easier to refer back to certain posts, then to type. No need to lower water below the returns.

Matt:

Regarding the hydrostatic valve, I would need a little more information as not familiar with this. Does the valve stay closed or will it open during the winter based on water tables? The main drain valve, upon closing has to be air locked in the system to work. Even with my pool closing, I actually plugged the pump basket and then turned the Pentair Valve (only for closing) on the lock position. This is in the event the valve fails during the winter, I have 2 back up areas to keep air locked in.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I don't have any valves on the plumbing to close. Would I set the filter to recirculate and blow from the skimmer, sealing the returns when the water is blown out? Blow out the main drain and air lock it? Heater drain plugs out, sand filter drain plugs out and pump drain plugs out at the end...Is it really that simple???

Matt. You're in a deep freeze area, you are smart to lower the water below the returns to ensure you have blown them free of water. I would remove the union from the top of the pump, duck tape your shop vac to the line going to the filter. Leave it on filter mode to clear every line down stream from it, remembering to burp each return to get all the water out. Once that's done, remove the filter drain cap and sight glass/Gauge. Then remove the drain plug from your chlorinatator, reattach that line to the top of the pump. Remove the drain plugs from the pump, place those plugs as well as the filter plug/gauge/sight glass in the pumps basket. It makes it easier to find them come spring. Undo the suction side union and do the same for the skimmer lines until it's clear of water. If it has both holes open, you should stuff about 3' of foam rope in the front hole and plug, then remove the water. Add 1/2 gallon antifreeze into the skimmer and plug with a gizmo. Pour the remainder of that gallon into the plugged skimmer. I like to cut up an old noodle and stuff it in and around the gizmo and going out the mouth of the skimmer. After you have done all this, Some people would disconnect the heater unions and add some antifreeze in that line as well.

Great info, Thanks all!!

You're in a deep freeze area, you are smart to lower the water below the returns to ensure you have blown them free of water. I would remove the union from the top of the pump, duck tape your shop vac to the line going to the filter. Leave it on filter mode to clear every line down stream from it, remembering to burp each return to get all the water out. Once that's done, remove the filter drain cap and sight glass/Gauge. Then remove the drain plug from your chlorinatator, reattach that line to the top of the pump. Remove the drain plugs from the pump, place those plugs as well as the filter plug/gauge/sight glass in the pumps basket. It makes it easier to find them come spring. Undo the suction side union and do the same for the skimmer lines until it's clear of water. If it has both holes open, you should stuff about 3' of foam rope in the front hole and plug, then remove the water. Add 1/2 gallon antifreeze into the skimmer and plug with a gizmo. Pour the remainder of that gallon into the plugged skimmer. I like to cut up an old noodle and stuff it in and around the gizmo and going out the mouth of the skimmer. After you have done all this, Some people would disconnect the heater unions and add some antifreeze in that line as well.

Can you elaborate on "burping the return lines"

I have 2 holes in the skimmer, but if I have a hydro static valve as the floor drain, will the floor drain even be connected to the suction line? Will I get the water out??

Any advantage to foam rope in the return line as well?

I guess I'll need 2 vacs, one to blow at the pump and and one to suck the water out of the skimmer as it's blown out??

Thanks in advance for answering all of these questions!!

Can you elaborate on "burping the return lines"

While the blower is on, you are temporarily closing each area with a plug and allowing pressure to build up in the line for a short period of time. Try first 10 seconds, and if this is successful, keep it at this level. If not, move up a little higher and continue. You will build up air in the lines and as you remove the plug, the water will come out of the lines. Then plug up again and repeat the process until you are finished and comfortable. Isolating each area is best.

Matt. You're in a deep freeze area, you are smart to lower the water below the returns to ensure you have blown them free of water. I would remove the union from the top of the pump, duck tape your shop vac to the line going to the filter. Leave it on filter mode to clear every line down stream from it, remembering to burp each return to get all the water out. Once that's done, remove the filter drain cap and sight glass/Gauge. Then remove the drain plug from your chlorinatator, reattach that line to the top of the pump. Remove the drain plugs from the pump, place those plugs as well as the filter plug/gauge/sight glass in the pumps basket. It makes it easier to find them come spring. Undo the suction side union and do the same for the skimmer lines until it's clear of water. If it has both holes open, you should stuff about 3' of foam rope in the front hole and plug, then remove the water. Add 1/2 gallon antifreeze into the skimmer and plug with a gizmo. Pour the remainder of that gallon into the plugged skimmer. I like to cut up an old noodle and stuff it in and around the gizmo and going out the mouth of the skimmer. After you have done all this, Some people would disconnect the heater unions and add some antifreeze in that line as well.

Chemnut. I put in Bold from your post what I consider to be excellent and to the point straight forward advice, good on ya . Thank you for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.