Bleach vs Police! :)

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone ever had police come over because of using bleach??? I had a cop come over last week around 17:00!! I heard a the bell ring and a cop at the door, asking about why am I using so much bleach! He was suspicious that I was cooking meth or something! I had no idea, bleach was used in making meth. But I forgot to ask him about that!! Well to be fair, not him, but some neighbours complained. He said he took a peek in my backyard. But in the heat of the moment, I didn't realize, shouldn't the police have a search warrant to do that? I normally bag all the bleach bottles in a blue bag and put it outside for recycling. The Glad blue bags are transparent! :ncool:
So anyone can see what is inside.

On the one hand, its good to have alert neighbours. But on the other hand, it might be construed as being "nosey"! :p

I am assuming most pool owners around me use pucks to chlorinate their pools and have no idea about what bleach has to do with pools! :D

I never knew it was part of meth cooking, I'll have to look up a recipe :confused:

I've had cashiers comment, but lately even cashiers at stores I've never frequesnted just look up and say "got a pool, huh.."

I definitely have had funny looks from both store customers and cashiers when I did a slam
a few years ago.

2 different times the cashiers asked if I was cleaning a run-down neglected home.

1 customer asked why I needed all of it when I was loading a cart.

I said nope, just chlorinating the swimming pool.

I buy my bleach in returnable, refillable jugs, so it's not a problem.

And yes, the cop would need a warrant if you refused to allow him in voluntarily.

I suspect your "neighbours" are already suspicious of you on account of you're a foreigner who likes soccer instead of real football. :mrgreen:

Or maybe they thought the bleach was used for cleaning up after a murder?

dont know about other places, but where I live, if you try to check out with more than a "reasonable" amount of bleach, you are going to have a visit from the store manager and security.

And if you wheel up to the check out with a buggy full of bleach and ask which aisle the body bags are kept, that's not gonna go over well either!

The thing is he didn't ask. He looked in the backyard first before ringing the bell! From checkout people i only ever had one comment, but she knew it was for the pool!

And yes football/soccer debate is i guess another matter. I always prefer real football (played with the feet) over NFL any day! My house stands out even more, because all the homes around me has either a Texas flag or US flag or both outside. Mine has a Man United flag flying! GGMU!! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Just WOW! Hope he was nice about it!

Yes he was! That is why i didn't take any offense. He was polite.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I am ordering 20 bottles of bleach from Home Depot tomorrow, to start off with. Lets see how folks at the store react to it. This would be my biggest one time buy. I am sure it will raise a lot of eye brows. Las time i did in small batches coz rubbish Great Value made 8.25s back then!

This time, its mustard! So it is going to be fun!

Most likely what happened is some concerned citizen reported what they saw along with your license plate number to PD. They checked you and your address for prior contacts/history, saw nothing and decided to clear the call by contacting you. As Richard said, the officer would have needed your consent or a warrant to enter your residence (or areas not open to the public) to continue the search. Looking into your backyard is probably lawful assuming the officer didn't climb over or peek through a fence. Since the call for service now lives in the database, the police probably won't be visiting you again.

Just put a sign out with your garbage:

Dear Concerned Neighbor,

I use bleach to maintain my pool. Check out troublefreepool.com!

Sincerely,

Hellstorm

I suspect your "neighbours" are already suspicious of you on account of you're a foreigner who likes soccer instead of real football. :mrgreen:

And yes football/soccer debate is i guess another matter. I always prefer real football (played with the feet) over NFL any day! My house stands out even more, because all the homes around me has either a Texas flag or US flag or both outside. Mine has a Man United flag flying! GGMU!! :D
e015d1808f5175ddc64d54fa6b601369.jpg

Just put a sign out with your garbage:

Dear Concerned Neighbor,

I use bleach to maintain my pool. Check out troublefreepool.com!

Sincerely,

Hellstorm

I thought about posting an annoying statement like that. But did really bother.

I dont know if he stepped inside. Because my backyard entry is open all the time, anyone can walk in. But its not everyday a policeman knocks on the door! So forgot to ask about the legal aspect of it all. But he was polite, so I didn't really give it a second thought. They are experienced enough to read body languages, if i was fidgety and hesitant, he might have come back. Who knows. Never heard this happen to anyone else i know.

But at least it is a fun story to tell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.